Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
domino
New Member!
Female 

25-07-2010, 08:24 AM

Itchy dog??

My dog is always scratching under his tummy and on the top of his back. I cannot spot any fleas, so wonder if he has some sort of allergy and am thinking about using piriton (or the French equivalent as we live in France) and wonders if anyone knows what does he should have - he weighs about 10kg.

Many thanks.
dave g
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-07-2010, 09:19 AM
What are you feeding him on, some dogs get allergys from kibble that as got wheat or grain in, try changing the diet...
Toty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Yes |I agree with the change of diet as my pup seems to have stopped scratching when I changed Her food....best to try that before going for the chemical thing
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 09:46 AM
What does your vet say?
I would also check for cat fleas and food sensitivity. Dogs can also be allergic to a huge range of things including some household cleaners, pollens, etc.
When I lived in France the vet gave my pollen-sensitive GSD a long-lasting anti-histamine injection which did her for the summer.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 01:43 PM
All 5 of mine have started scratching...2 in particular. No sign of fleas but I guess it is fleas. I'm going to wash them with Exmarid (good for stopping scratching) and dose them with Frontline.