View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pamsy56
New Member!
Female 

06-12-2009, 01:47 PM

How can I stop my westie from marking his territory indoors?

Hi, I have rescued a westie called Harley about 3 weeks ago and the only problem I have with him is he likes cocking his leg all the time and if you leave anything on the floor he marks it, please can anyone help me, I love him to bits and will not give up on this he is so adorable.
This is my first time on this site and hope to make friends
Thank you for reading this, x
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Has he been castrated? This solved the problem with past male dogs we`ve had that have displayed this kind of problem.
pamsy56
New Member!
Female 

26-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Sorry for not answering earlier, yes he has been castrated, its getting worse, if I stop to speak to someone he will mark my leg or a bag I have put down to put his lead back on him if I have come out of a shop. When I walk him I have tried not to let him cock his leg until I get to where I want him to run around, but every morning I am getting up to him weeing in my kitchen and I am almost sure he has marked some where where I have not found it, any ideas pls
lakeland_lass
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Hey there it sounds like he might be a dominant little boy.

Do you mother him? I don't mean that in a bad way but it sounds like he is marking you to let others know he owns you. I know you have only had the wee man for a few weeks but you might need to think about setting some rules with him.
Also what is he fed? Is it dry food? how often is he fed? and how much water is on offer?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 02:45 PM
I wouldn`t get too bothered about it. It`s early days for your boy and he needs to learn, that`s all.
I tend to use Dettol to clean up accidents indoors because dogs don`t like the smell.
You can avoid the bag/ leg thing pretty easily by not leaving him outside a shop - something I would never do anyway - far too many dog thieves about. And some nifty footwork.
Treat him like a puppy and house-train him and also don`t assume he`s had any previous training. Also please don`t label him as dominant or naughty - dogs want to please. It`s our job to explain and train what we want.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Castration is an important step but may or may not stop it. When you are around you need to keep a close eye on the dog. Use closed doors or gates to keep it in the same room as you are, and perhaps as I do, a short chain fastened to the computer desk. If you catch it in the act, give it a sharp ''Ah, ah, ah!'' and take it out. When you can't watch it, crate it.

Other dogs may not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work. Start out just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate. Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding time for more than one dog.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by pamsy56 View Post
Hi, I have rescued a westie called Harley about 3 weeks ago and the only problem I have with him is he likes cocking his leg all the time and if you leave anything on the floor he marks it, please can anyone help me, I love him to bits and will not give up on this he is so adorable.
This is my first time on this site and hope to make friends
Thank you for reading this, x
Originally Posted by pamsy56 View Post
Sorry for not answering earlier, yes he has been castrated, its getting worse, if I stop to speak to someone he will mark my leg or a bag I have put down to put his lead back on him if I have come out of a shop. When I walk him I have tried not to let him cock his leg until I get to where I want him to run around, but every morning I am getting up to him weeing in my kitchen and I am almost sure he has marked some where where I have not found it, any ideas pls
Hi Pamsy as Claire says it is early days yet and your little dog may still be feeling a little unsure of his new surroundings. The territorial marking should improve as he settles.

I would for the moment restrict his access to all but a couple of rooms and make sure he is 'empty' as possible when around the house. This means taking him out to relieve himself at frequent intervals through the day as you would a puppy (after sleep/food/play/excitement/last thing at night/first thing in the morning). Take him a short walk preferably to an area frequented by other dogs so their scent will stimulate him to eliminate and when he goes give him a treat and lots of praise.

You can also train your little dog to eliminate on command using a prompt word so that he learns to 'go' when requested and that doing so outside in your presence is rewarding (and going inside brings no reward).

To teach this I would take your little dog out armed with some high value treats like tiny pieces of chicken or cheese. First he needs to learn a prompt word (I say 'be clean')when he is in the middle of relieving himself say the word you have chosen so that he learns to associates the word with the action, then the moment he finishes going give a treat and lots of praise.
He should soon learn to go when you use the prompt word.

Also thoroughly clean any areas he has previously soiled
with a none ammonia based cleaner like biological washing powder. I would also buy some pure oil of lavender (from a health food shop) and rub a little on any areas where you think your dog may be cocking his leg .It will deter him and make the house smell sweet too.

You say..
When I walk him I have tried not to let him cock his leg until I get to where I want him to run around
I would not do this it may confuse him, scent marking anywhere outside is to be encouraged.

if I stop to speak to someone he will mark my leg
Has he been taught to sit? Practise sitting at home using a treat as a lure. When you are going out have some treats or a toy with you .If you stop put him in a sit, he can't cock his leg then don't forget to treat and praise for sitting .
Meg
Supervisor

26-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Castration is an important step but may or may not stop it. When you are around you need to keep a close eye on the dog. Use closed doors or gates to keep it in the same room as you are, and perhaps as I do, a short chain fastened to the computer desk. If you catch it in the act, give it a sharp ''Ah, ah, ah!'' and take it out. When you can't watch it, crate it.

Other dogs may not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work. Start out just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate. Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding time for more than one dog.
Labman your answer to almost every problem posted on the site seems to be crate the dog preferably without bedding or water, or tie it up.Not the sort of thing any caring owner would do.

There is a place for crates, they have a limited use but they are not the answer to every problem. Many people have dogs as companions and don't want to crate them for half their lives. If you want an animal you can crate all the time you should get a hamster not a dog.

ETA As many have said to you before if using a kong no one with any sense would give a dog a kong full of peanut butter unless they want a sick dog ,a small teaspoon mixed with something else is plenty or just rub a little around the inside of the kong to make it smell enticing.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-01-2010, 05:13 PM
It is a real shame you consistently oppose anything you didn't use when Winston Churchhill was PM.
Meg
Supervisor

26-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
It is a real shame you consistently oppose anything you didn't use when Winston Churchhill was PM.
Labman I don't know what Winston Churchill has to do with this thread .

Yes I have been involved with dogs since WC was alive but I am not as old as you and what is more I have kept up to date with changes in the training and behaviour of dogs unlike yourself. You still quote 'the dominance theory' and the Monks of Skete and don't believe in positive training methods. You quote endlessly from some obscure manuel written by so called 'experts' who must remain anonymous.

If you wish to treat dogs with such uncaring methods I can't stop you but I am not going to sit back while you tell others to do the same.

I can see exactly what you are doing. The many experienced members on Dogsey have seen you for what you are and have openly disagreed with your methods. So you are doing your best to cause trouble by posting the same old stuff.
Go ahead Labman, as long as you do I will challenge your methods.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >