View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Merz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Hi-also agree with Anne-Marie-have looked up things myself on internet and then worried myself stupid- I do hope your boy's eye is sorted out soon for your peace of mind and of course for your boy-good luck
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Went back to the vet today. She gave my boy's eye another thorough exam with lights (very impressive!). He was very good, well, goodish! She said he doesn't need any more antibiotics as the bacteria has cleared up but he has been left with inflamed tissue which is the swelling. I asked her if she thought it was serious and she said she certainly didn't think so by the look of it and the way it started with inflamation but she wants to see him in two weeks to make sure it is shrinking. She said she is hesitant to operate because it is close to his tear duct and an operation may cause damage with drainage for the rest of his life. She said she would like to see it shrink naturally. I said what does she think caused it and she read his notes, sent by my previous vet, and said probably something trapped under his eyelid.

She was lovely and friendly and told me to let him off his lead to have a good look around the examination room before she looked at him so he felt more in control. So much nicer than my last vet.

However, she has given him the dreaded Rimadyl, two tablets each day for five days for the swollen tissue. I talked to her for quite a while about it and she said if it is prescribed and given properly it is a safe drug and she considered it the best NSAID for his problem. I have done a search on this forum about it, I haven't given him any yet. Oh dear.

Sorry if this is getting a bit boring but it helps to talk about it. I worry about my pets - a lot - more than I need to I know.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Hi, well I think that is positive news from your vet.

As for the rimadyl, yes it can be bad, but I thought that the problems are predominently for those on long term use.

I think if he was my dog I wouldn't hesitate to give it to him for a short term use like this.

Whatever you decide, I hope he recovers well
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Yes, I think I have decided to give the tablets to him. I will start them tomorrow. It is only for five days and it may well take the swelling down.

And, no, I haven't looked up Rimadyl on the internet, I dare not, because the severe cases will mean me!!!!!!

Thanks for your reply.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2