Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
westyorkschick
New Member!
Female 

02-09-2009, 06:55 AM

Quality of life of elderley poodle

Hi, I am new to the forum so hope I'm posting in the right place.

My dog is a 14 yr old min poodle, he is on a vet diet (previous pancreatitis) and prevecox for arthritis- his back legs are a little weak though he still gets about. He became deaf and has cataracts.
My Vet says that he has a little periferal vision which only seems to be above his head. He constantly walks into things at home,he used to love walks but now only goes once a day as he stopped wanting to go out in the am.

His only interested is in food- he is always trying to eat things in the park & becomes more animated before meals.

He used to be v affectionate & though he still wags his tail when i come home he doesn't seem to want us to fuss him at any other time. He seems to be in a world of his own,stands in corners alot & I am worried about his overall quality of life.

We love him very much but want him to still enjoy life and not just exist, Our vet told us that he (the dog) would let us know when the time comes but how on earth are we supposed to decide?

Other than all of the above difficulties he appears outwardly to be a healthy dog- but it's impossible to tell if he is actually happy. Can anyone advise?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 07:11 AM
It sounds like he`s a bit confused - has your vet suggested trying the Canine Dementia medication?
I`ve got a 15yo who is nearly blind / deaf and very tottery. But while he still gets me up shouting for his breakfast I reckon he`s not ready to go yet. And yes, the only other time he gets animated is dinnertime!
Old dogs really just want a comfy bed and a warm spot, and occasional reassurance. They`ve earned it, I reckon.
It`s a very difficult decision. And one that only you can make.
westyorkschick
New Member!
Female 

02-09-2009, 07:18 AM
We haven't tried anything for dementure as he is on prevecox for arthritis which is bad for the organs and has problems with his pancreas. The prevecox helps with his movement but does mean he walks into things at a higher speed. He is v clean in the house and can still find the dog flap and water bowl (usually) without assistance he just seems to spend alot of time really unsettled.... it takes him a couple of hours in an evening before he will lie down and go to sleep.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by westyorkschick View Post
We haven't tried anything for dementure as he is on prevecox for arthritis which is bad for the organs and has problems with his pancreas. The prevecox helps with his movement but does mean he walks into things at a higher speed. He is v clean in the house and can still find the dog flap and water bowl (usually) without assistance he just seems to spend alot of time really unsettled.... it takes him a couple of hours in an evening before he will lie down and go to sleep.
My Oldie is on Metacam for his arthritis, plus supplements (have you tried this) of Glucosamine and Chondroitin, plus Cod Liver Oil. It may be that he is in discomfort in the evening which is why he`s not settling. I found Acupuncture also helped when he was younger - now he is happy to just snooze the days away.
westyorkschick
New Member!
Female 

02-09-2009, 10:23 AM
I have made an appointment to see my vet on Friday re the dementia medication. Hopefully they will be able to give him something that makes him more like his old self.

He does still enjoy his walks and his food he's just so unsettled and the bumping into things all the time must be quiet strange for him, it's like he doesn't remember where furniture is. I just want him to have a nice retirement.
westyorkschick
New Member!
Female 

03-09-2009, 10:46 AM
The decision was really made for us when i got home yesterday. My dog was on the floor in the kitchen and couldn't stand up. Thsi has happened once before while I was at home and he was OK afterwards.

I got him up but he couldn't stand. I called my vet immediately and my husband and I held him while we waited for the vet to come. We were the told the nerves had gone in back legs. He wasn't distressed just very peaceful and quiet. The vet agreed the kindest thing was for him to be put to sleep. We said our goodbyes it was his time to leave us.

Thank you for your kind words and advice, when it came to it I knew I was doing the right thing - just the hardest thing in the world to do .
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2009, 11:07 AM
So sorry for your loss, but happy to hear he left you so peacefully.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2009, 11:20 AM
So sorry for your loss

x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2009, 06:18 PM
He had a good life and died knowing he was loved. RIP little chap.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2009, 06:30 PM
So sorry for your loss honey x0x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >