View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-01-2006, 05:30 PM

pedigree chum - what are your opinions of it?

I feed my two oldies pedigree chum (senior) and pedigree chum small bite mixer. What are people's views on this food? they get the runs quite a bit and I'm starting to put it down to the food. And is there any dogfood that is particularly good for elderly pooches? Thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-01-2006, 05:53 PM
Hi Katrina PC would not be my choice I have to say...the tinned stuff contains a lot of water/ gelatine and the complete too many additives. Also they used to do a lot of testing on animals so got a black mark from me for that .

Amy at nearly 15 has Burns complete fish with rice or chicken with rice /fish bites/Kelties and some fresh food too .

She loves fish and I have been buying blocks of frozen fish from the supermarket, a pack of six portions is £2 something.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-01-2006, 06:07 PM
The Border Collies at Snorri mansions are 8 and 12, and they are spoiled rotten. If they were offered PC, they'd just sit and stare at it reproachfully, as if to say "You don't expect us to eat that muck, do you?". They get raw, minced offcuts from the town butcher (£1.87 per kilo ), and anything else is muck, as far as they think! (Well, I ain't gonna give them fillet steak every night!).

Because the meat doesn't contain everything they need, I add a "palmful" of PC Complete for a bit of crunch, and an SA37 vitamin pill. They regard PC Complete as being muck, too, and used to spit it neatly on to the carpet! Now it disguises the vitamin pill.

In addition, Kali (12) gets vivitonin, to keep his circulation (principally that in what passes for his brain ) up to the mark, hopefully avoiding the possibility of his having a stroke. NB - this stuff is MUCH cheaper bought on the Net! (PM me for details if you think you want to try it).

Snorri
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-01-2006, 06:25 PM
the only thing worse than pedigree chum is bakers
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2006, 06:35 PM
ive never fed mine on pc but my old collie bitch was on it and my vet told me to stop feeding it as it contains alot of water so we put her on to rice and fish and she was brilliant on that but i wont be feeding the boys it
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Julie beat me to it but she is right - Pedigree Chum only comes second to Bakers as being the worst you can feed your dog = so anything else has got to be better.
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2006, 12:07 AM
As soon as you have fed your dog..........it just comes out just as quick. Another dreadful food
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2006, 07:31 AM
Have you tried Nature Diet? They do a senior one. This is from their website:

Herbal Senior Gold:A blend of lamb, lamb tripe and chicken, brown rice, potato, carrots, egg, seaweed, natural ground bone, vitamins and minerals with specially selected herbs; celery seed, dandelion, garlic, golden rod, nettle and rosemary along with omega 3 oil that are known to be of benefit in the mobility of the joints. Provides an average 120 kcals/100g.

I feed the premium ND range to my two, having gone down the complete food route. My two love it, and as there are four varieties, they are never bored. Always clean plates, and firm poo's.

Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Back in the early days, Snorri-dog had a ferocious breath problem, and the stench was even coming through his coat! Travelling with him on my knee was a real test of "how much do you love your dog"!

We started giving the Twilight Zone Border Boys (TZBB) the butcher stuff as a treat, and, within days, the pong had gone - so I assumed that it had been something in canned food that had been causing it (not an unreasonable assumption, I thought!).

When I considered the additional fact that the stuff I was getting from the butcher was cheaper (or certainly no more) and that the TZBBs liked it so much (judging by the rate at which it disappeared!), I decided to stick with it, after the butcher assured me that supplies were not limited.

Nowadays, I can rest assured that I know what's in it - no additives, other than the SA37 vitamin pill that I put in myself, because pure raw meat doesn't have everything they need.

I can't comment on Bakers from experience, but I'll accept what other posters have said about it. The TZBCs like the biscuits*, but they don't get those all that often.

*Bakers Drummers, ckicken flavour. The TZBBs may get one a week.

Funnily enough, it was the advertising of PC that put me off it, originally - the way they always "pounced" on the Crufts Champ as a sponsor.

Whatever, the TZBBs are doing well on their minced lamb offcuts, even if (on one occasion only), I've had to par-cook it to be able to pour off excess fat. My vet is happy with their weights (carefully controlled ), especially that of Kali, who, being "well-matured", needs to have his weight within bounds, to avoid joint problems (just like people!). Having nasty arthritis myself, I don't wish it on him!

So, for the TZBBs, the raw stuff has many benefits, and I can see why they regard canned stuff (of any make) as "muck". Spoiled rotten, but beneficially!

Snorri
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by juliekelham
the only thing worse than pedigree chum is bakers
oh? how does Butchers Trip mix compare?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >