Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah j
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-08-2008, 09:04 AM

What size is my dog?

Could anyone help, we are looking around at dog food for our new puppy, and yes I do realise that she has to be on pupy food for 12 months but in some cases this depends on the adult size of the dog. Now ,from research, for the benefit of food, a Bearded Collie come under the clssificatio of a medium dog, but yesterday we had a not exactly good visit to the vets, and the nurse insisted that Bearded Collies are large dogs. I suspect the only reason for this was that they only had large dog food in the Hills which they promote, sorry but over the last 12 hours I have become very cynical about vets. Can anyone tell me what classification Bearded Collies come under and put my suspicious mind to rest.
Thanks
Sarah
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 10:27 AM
On a bag of food I have here beardies are listed as medium sized along with labs & collies etc. It may vary dependent on the food manufacturer, but I'd say a beardie is NOT large, especially after seeing one soaking wet, that coat can tell lies.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 10:56 AM
same here just checked and Bearded Collies are classed as Medium
what is the weight of your dog?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 11:04 AM
My breed is classified as large too, think it depends on the dog owned or well known to the person who is making the decision. Would call your breed & mine (Elkhound) large/medium finished weight between 20 & 25 kg.

Always best to feed to condition, make a start with the chosen food and check the dogs condition about once a month and adjust according to what you find under your hand.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 11:53 AM
OK I may be a bit thick but I don`t see why large dogs should eat different foods to medium sized dogs. I can see that Giant breeds possibly may benefit from their own `mix` at a push but there are now `special` foods for individual breeds! Surely this is unnecessary? I`ve got 4 dogs who are roughly the same weight. Two are the same breed, however, one is 14 years old and on a diet, and the other is an active mature dog. Another is hyperactive by nature. It seems fairly obvious to me that I should be feeding each dog as an individual Provided there are no underlying health problems, I`d say find a food that contains ingredients you`re comfortable with, and that your dog enjoys, and feed the amount that doesn`t make him fat. Except Bakers. And Pedigree.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 03:48 PM
my mil is 25.summet kg.... shes chunky i know but classed as medium i think......

daft having different foods for the differnt types - surely if it offers what the dog needs then upping/reducing accordingly is ok???
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Hills puppy (I think that's what you were offered-reading your other post) is classified as large breed for an adult weight of over 25kg.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2008, 02:41 PM
I think the "size" of a dog generally goes on adult weight but I weigh mine regularly so go on that.

I have 2 collies which are classed as medium. One weighs 16.2 kg, the other weighs 30kg (give or take a couple of pounds as he fluctuates). Therefore Jed falls under the "large" category (even if he lost a bit of his heaviness he would still be way over 25kg at ideal!)

I would have thought Beardies would have been medium but these classifications are sweepingly general.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2008, 03:32 PM
I always say my Beardies are medium sized. I think it would be a good idea for you to join the Bearded Collie Club they have events all over the country not just shows but fun days and training days.

http://www.beardedcollieclub.co.uk/
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
OK I may be a bit thick but I don`t see why large dogs should eat different foods to medium sized dogs. I can see that Giant breeds possibly may benefit from their own `mix` at a push but there are now `special` foods for individual breeds! Surely this is unnecessary? I`ve got 4 dogs who are roughly the same weight. Two are the same breed, however, one is 14 years old and on a diet, and the other is an active mature dog. Another is hyperactive by nature. It seems fairly obvious to me that I should be feeding each dog as an individual Provided there are no underlying health problems, I`d say find a food that contains ingredients you`re comfortable with, and that your dog enjoys, and feed the amount that doesn`t make him fat. Except Bakers. And Pedigree.
Totally agree. You shouldn't need different foods for different breeds. It's just money making nonsense. The only difference is in the size of the kibbles. I think some vets are just lining their pockets with this 'special' diet thing.