Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 07:04 PM

dog training careers

as some of u know i really want to get into dog training, but mostly behaviour.
I was wondering any of u knowledgable people know the best way to get into this??
i am enrolling onto a COAPE course in canine behaviour and training and i can do an assistant training thing at a local dog training place. However im still not sure the best way to do this and would like to open up my own dog training school eventually rather than under someone elses name.

Also, as a plan of openin up a school, id like to work towards being a behaviourist where i can help people one on one with behavioural issues with their dogs etc, does anyone know what sort of courses and level i need to get to do achieve that?

Thanks

also anymore recommended books to read would be great
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 08:41 PM
I hope you don't mind me jumping on your post - this is something I'm really interested in doing too and I have the same questions as you do but if I have any tips I'll pass them on.

I haven't a clue which courses would be best - there seem to be loads of dog places. Have you looked at BIPDT and APDT, who also do courses?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 08:46 PM
yeh, i do plan on attending the APDT courses aswell, and i hear u can also contact local apdt qualified trainers and ask to be an assistant. Apparently the apdt help u open up ur own school when u pass their courses? not sure.

the dog trainer we took indie to did the first animal care college dog psychology course, then spent a yr as an assistant and then the apdt helped her open her own school. However to me she doesnt seem very knowledgable about wot she does, but in her view the coape people are jus money grabbers

Then i phoned up another trainer and she did the coape course and the Alpha puppy classes in my area do an assistant training thing, but require u to run classes under their name, whcih i dont want to do.

thing is, i dont jus want to do dog training, i want to do behaviour as well, but i figure i can do dog training in the background whilst i still study for behaviour.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 08:49 PM
What about dog sitting/walking/boarding too?

There are some Uni courses (eg Southampton) that do diploma/MSc in animal behaviour too, but I'm not sure if it's residential.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 08:54 PM
dunno i know coape do various courses regarding kennel management and things like that.

the only problem with the degrees is u need degrees or A levels in things like science which is worrying as i have only done gcse's.

do u think the online animal behaviour courses are equivelent?
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

08-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Hi Jenny,
You should get in touch with Bishop Burton College they have some great courses and you can work your way up to degree level.

Also go to crosskeys website - they have some great books on behaviour and training
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Not sure - was going to mention Bishop Burton too - they are someone I heard of today.
snazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-03-2005, 12:07 PM
Working with a broad spectrum of dogs is a good way to get some understanding on dog behaviour. It will help if you know how a 'normal' representative of that breed or mix behaves and the sort of things they react to. Also reading up on breed histories so you understand what 'drives' them.

Assisting in obedience classes or helping at your local rescue centre would give you a good grounding in canine behaviour.

It will also give you a braoder base of knowledge to draw from for whatever course you choose to do.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2005, 12:23 PM
what r some good books to read, im lookin on amazon?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2005, 12:25 PM
does anyone know what sort of qualifications you need to be a dog trainer and what you need to be a behaviourist?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >