View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 09:55 PM
I asked about rescuing an Irish Setter told them about my location, time and commitment - I was turned down because of my age and my lack of knowledge of the breed..

I was also turned down when inquiring about Snow because Louie is entire..

I would love to foster though but the blanket policy puts me off, I know there are smaller rescues that don't have this policy but not many of the smaller ones have a fostering programme - or have ignored my emails asking about their fostering programme. I think thats the worst thing - not getting replies to questions and inquiries. I've sent off two interest forms in the past and had no reply, not even an apology to say that I cannot rehome/foster.

I hope this helps the rescues see what is putting them off - whilst I understand the blanket policy for rehoming, I don't think it should be for fostering. Responsible fosterers - who wouldn't be there otherwise, wouldn't allow any unwanted pregnancies or bring in a dog that could potentially cause problems.
Dooley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2011, 12:42 PM
i tried to offer a home to a dog from a well known dogs home , took me all day to drive to and i were in constant contact with the people on the desk all day , letting them know my location , finally turned up after 5 hours of driving solid , only to be told i`d have 5 minutes to look around the dogs home as they were closing , so i turned round and walked back out , would never go there ever again.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Well, most of you know what happened with mine.

I went to the DT just for a look and fell in love with one chap. I really wanted him. I asked if they would reserve him, just for a few days as I hadnt long moved and needed to clear the garden. I was told no and that I shouldnt have wasted their time.

That dog was reserved the next day and remained there over a fortnight!!

Not only that, but he was returned a month later.

I went down the puppy route after their attitude. I didnt want to face them again.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 03:58 PM
just remembered another one I went to, in fairness it was the late afternoon when I was there (the people who work there are paid employees) HOWEVER, we were told we had to wait (along with about another 6 families) then we were taken out to a re-tundra style block (ALL of us together) and basically all had a walk around to look at the dogs. After 5 mins, we were all punted out and told, well, nothing.

No advice/info on individual dogs, no forms handed out to note interest/note what you would be interested in should such a dog come in. Not even a smile.

Plus when you were looking at the dogs, we all know seeing them in a kennel environment is different enough without it being a fight to see them through the kids with loads of people crowding over them, no opportunity to walk them either.....I wouldn't even waste my time going back there again tbh.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Wow, clearly some rescues out there need to rethink their attitude towards potential adopters & fosterers!

One thought that does occur to me though; even though a person may have a negative experience with a rescue, if said person is really determined to rescue, there are many others out there that probably treat potential adopters more fairly....

Just a thought
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Wow, clearly some rescues out there need to rethink their attitude towards potential adopters & fosterers!

One thought that does occur to me though; even though a person may have a negative experience with a rescue, if said person is really determined to rescue, there are many others out there that probably treat potential adopters more fairly....

Just a thought
Absolutely.
When I was refused as a fosterer, I went somewhere else, and was welcomed.
When I was turned down as an adoptee, I was offered Prince by another Rescue.
I really think you`ll find the dog for you - and sometimes things happen for a reason.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 05:40 PM
the sad thing is, a lot of dogs must be paying the price

People must set up rescues with good intentions but sometimes things must go a bit, well..... then the dogs lose out

I have actually decided that what's for me wont go by me with regards to my next dog. Rightly or wrongly, that's how I'm now thinking about it.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 05:43 PM
another one was a telephone discussion followed by nothing

even if they could say that they wont re-home to you because...

EDIT; I suppose they may do that in-case numpties start getting others to phone with a 'tailored' response, which I can see the point...if thats why
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I was turned down as a fosterer by the Oldies people after a home visit.
The official reason was that Daisy was `too dominant` because she threw a toy for her and Daisy wouldn`t give it back.
That means dominant!? Jeez.. It worries me when people like that are in charge of finding dogs new homes.

Wonder what they would say if they actually met a truly dominant dog? One that does show its teeth, and mounts and.... brings back its dog toys!?
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 07:20 PM
I contacted a setter breed rescue and the woman on the phone was quite condescending, took my details and I haven't heard anything since! I have looked into adopting from several rescues and am put off by their set in stone rules about never re-homing same sex animals or insisting that the existing animal is neutured, I am unwilling to put my dogs through that for someone else's preconceived notion of what an entire male's attitude and behaviour is like! Like others I went down the puppy route rather than rehoming, it's so sad since some of the people I know that have rescued are not what you'd call the ideal dog owner!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >