Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Twigs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2012, 08:27 PM

Dog still humping at nearly 2 yrs old AND barking problem

Hi, I wonder if anyone could offer any advice please? Our Sprocker, who we have not had neutered (yet!) is nearly 2 years old and humps quite a lot. He does it to me but not my hubby and he does when he is excited when playing too.
But a visitor called today and he kept humping him too and its so embarrassing as I just can't get him to stop, so had to put him in another room which of cause he did'nt like and kept barking. I thought he would have grown out of this by now?
Would getting him neutered help do you think? He is a very excitable and energetic boy and always seems to be on red alert! Wondering if this would calm him down a bit too?

We also have a problem with his barking (worried about the neighbours complaining). He watches out of the window for any passer by and will bark when he sees someone which is okay but then I can't get him to stop! When I try to calm him he starts barking AT me!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2012, 09:02 PM
I have two 'entire' male dogs (both aged 13 months). I took them to the vets last week and while there asked about castration. To my amazement he said that he doesn't recommend it as the norm. He has always had entire males and has said that if either of my dogs start to show aggression or very strong sexual desires (i.e. humping) that he would recommend an implant. The implant lasts a year and the vet has said that he has never had to repeat an implant. The reason for this is that after a year the dog will have calmed down etc etc. So it may be worth further investigation - that is certainly the route I'll go rather than castration if I feel anything is necessary. I believe that humping humans is a dominant thing - but I may be wrong
Fortunately neither of my dogs are great 'barkers' but I'm sure you will get lots of advice here.
Good luck.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2012, 09:00 AM
IMO neutering will not change this behaviour. Dogs hump etc because they are wound up or excited. They are really not trying to impregnate your visitors.
Because it is a problem of behaviour not hormones, the `cure` is to reshape the behaviour.
When you have visitors put the dog on a lead. Get him to sit beside you and reward him / speak to him / look at him only when he is calm or quiet. Any sort of attention is a reward to a dog, so ask your visitor to ignore him too.