Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-08-2008, 09:40 AM

I think I can safely say

That the concept of "dog number three" is going to go on the "good ideas but no no" pile.
We went to see a really nice and even litter of rough coated JRT pups thursday, and everything was practically perfect. There was a nice little dark based tri colour bitch who caught my attention, but we said we'd get back to them. Driving home I had a good think, and then did yesterday. And as silly as it sounds, even though it's been two years, I don't think I want another dog as i'd feel I was being disloyal. And I thought a bit deeper and I'm not even sure it's just cause it's another JRT, I honestly think it would be any breed, cross or anything that's another dog.
Is it silly that after two whole years I STILL don't feel ready to move on?
So for now I think i'll stay with just the weasel and the prince of daftness
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2008, 09:43 AM
You're stronger than me if you can see a litter of JRT's and say you'll get back to them!

If you're not ready, you're not ready, no matter how long it takes, there are no rules.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-08-2008, 09:49 AM
It makes me sound heartless aha They were lovely pups, and what I was ideally looking for. But I'm not sure I'd be able to..well, feel comfortable bringing a pup up again! And I worry I'd compare the pup to the old duchess on an unhealthy level, and maybe almost compare my love for them which ofcourse would be different. Which makes me think it's wise to leave be, for now.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Wise words indeed...... for now
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-08-2008, 09:57 AM
It doesnt make you sound heartless, just normal. Everyone is different, some peple loose a dog and get another soon after(me). Some wait a while, my sister waited a while after getting another, I have also known people not make a choice and some have never got another dog.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2008, 10:00 AM
If it is not right, its not right. Doesn't mean it will never be but not just now
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
It doesnt make you sound heartless, just normal. Everyone is different, some peple loose a dog and get another soon after(me). Some wait a while, my sister waited a while after getting another, I have also known people not make a choice and some have never got another dog.
Very true. Dogs are like people.... actually no they aren't at all.... but.... some dogs, like some people, etch themselves onto your heart deeper than others.
That doesn't mean you loved the others less, it's just there was that special something.
I'm like that with Tonto, dunno why, well I do, but I am.
I know Phil is like that with Storm. You can tell.

There will be a time when you are ready. I don't think you are one of the 'never another dog' brigade, or you wouldn't be thinking of it now. But it'll come..... probably when you least expect it.

Cor, what a load of waffle but I think I got there in the end?
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2008, 10:24 AM
When we lost our first dog, it took us 4 years to get another one (Diesel).

I do also feel a bit of guilt getting this pup now Ruby has gone, as it hasnt been very long and i have that "disloyal" feeling too.

You will know if and when the time is right, as Becks said there are no rules.

Hugs to you xxx
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Very true. Dogs are like people.... actually no they aren't at all.... but.... some dogs, like some people, etch themselves onto your heart deeper than others.
That doesn't mean you loved the others less, it's just there was that special something.
I'm like that with Tonto, dunno why, well I do, but I am.
I know Phil is like that with Storm. You can tell.

There will be a time when you are ready. I don't think you are one of the 'never another dog' brigade, or you wouldn't be thinking of it now. But it'll come..... probably when you least expect it.

Cor, what a load of waffle but I think I got there in the end?
You do waffle, but I did get you.

Fwiw I had a few misgivings when we got Skye and I wondered if it was the right thing but I wouldnt be without her.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2008, 11:13 AM
I tend to get another dog quickly after losing one - I always have - I've never felt disloyal, just filling the hole that the departed one has left.

I know when I'm ready.

You will too, Luke.

*hugs* xx0xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >