Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abreu
New Member!
Male 

24-03-2015, 02:02 PM

Create a husky in the summer?

Hey, im going to own a 2 months husky, but here in Portugal is going to be summer in a few months, can a baby husky survive in the summer?
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-03-2015, 08:37 PM
Hi

I am no expert but I do know Huskys are meant for cold countries, they are used to sleeping in sub-zero conditions.

If I was you (and I know Im not) Id reconsider buying the poor thing.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-03-2015, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Abreu View Post
Hey, im going to own a 2 months husky, but here in Portugal is going to be summer in a few months, can a baby husky survive in the summer?
The answer is yes, providing you take precautions to make sure your puppy doesn't overheat. I have a Shar-Pei, a breed which can't stand the heat and here in Hungary temperatures in summer can get up to 35C.

I walk her only in the early morning or evening when it's cooler. During the hottest part of the day I keep her inside apart from quick outings into the garden when she wants to toilet. As I don't have air conditioning, I make sure a fan is on in the room to keep her cool.

During the summer she's left at home when I go out in the car, but if for example, she has to be taken to the vet, I have sun filters for the car windows and the windows are open as far as is safely possible. She always has plenty of fresh water available and whenever we are out I always carry water with me.

My Peigirl doesn't like water much, apart from the water she drinks, but you could consider, if you have a garden, having a child's paddling pool for your Husky to play in or spraying him down with a hose. There are also special cooling mattresses you can buy for your dog to sleep on ... I have tiled floors throughout my house which she likes to lie on.

I've found that as they get older, dogs are pretty sensible and will find their own way of keeping cool. Mine will usually find a hedge to lie under or they'll go to the top of the garden and sit under the shade of a tree.

Hope that helps.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2015, 04:44 PM
I agree with Chlosmum. I adopted a little Labrador/BC mix puppy. Except that he turned out to be a Labrador/Great Pyrenees mix puppy. I haven't had a dog who doesn't handle the heat well before and I had to train myself on how to own one.

He's black, so also reflects the sun badly. Don't walk when the sun is beating down. I did this unknowingly, and my boy nearly collapsed near the lake. His coat was SO hot to the touch. Keep walks short in humid heat (which we have). Always keep freakish water around.

Do not leave him in a car or uncooled house EVER. They can overheat in these situations surprisingly fast. It's so dangerous to do this. I found that taking some hair off my boy helped, but normally this doesn't help double coated breeds.

He will be fine if you take care and be careful.
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2015, 06:12 PM
I agree with Kenny - there are lots of breeds better suited to living in Portugal than a Husky!

It wouldn't be impossible, but it is surely not going to be easy! You'd need to keep puppy in an air-conditioned house almost all of the time, for it not to be in danger of heat-exhaustion. Huskies need bucket-loads of socializing as puppies, especially through the crucial period of 8-16 weeks, and I can't see how you can accomplish that without being out and about with the puppy, in the heat.

You risk a puppy with potentially fatal heat-stroke, or a fully grown Husky that is unable to cope with anything outside of the home. Not a great choice!

If you are absolutely set on a Husky, maybe it would be better to wait until the cooler weather.