Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dee Buzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2009, 10:08 AM

Help! My dog has just had a fit!

My 21 month old Kooiker had a fit this morning out of the blue. I haven't managed to speak to the vet yet, so was wondering if anyone could help please?. He was perfectly ok when we got up,and was lying in his bed on his side as usual when he gave a strange groan and then started shaking violently, with all four legs really stiff. His eyes were very wide so you saw more of the whites than usual but they weren't rolled back in his head as I would have expected. It lasted about a minute and a half. He didn't wee himself or anything. When he came round he was a bit scared but excited like he is when we come home. When he first got up his back legs gave way a couple of times, then he started bouncing around as usual. That was 3 hours ago. Since then he has been perfectly normal. He's been in kennels for a week and was very thirsty when he came back. He did have water in the kennel though. He had a big drink after his fit too. Has anyone else experienced the same thing.? I'm hoping to see the vet later of course but in the meantime any advice would be helpful.............. Many thanks!
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 10:23 AM
I would keep him quiet and as calm as possible until you speak to the vet. He will probably want to see him. It could be he was excited to be home. Make sure he has water available. Try not to worry as he might pick up on it and get agitated.
Good luck and hope he is going to be fine and it was a one off.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Dogs often experience extreme hunger and thirst following a fit. Best speak to your vet, but you won't get treatment for him unless he has another fit within the next few weeks. If it is epilepsy, there are a few members on here with epileptic dogs who will be able to offer advice and support. Good luck with your boy.
Dee Buzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Thanks for yor advice. I have since made an an appointment with the vet for tomorrow-for a blood test.
Wish me luck! Just read on the breed website that epilepsy is one of the hereditary diseases of Kooikers. I guess all breeds have something hereditary but I'm still hoping it's a "one-off". D x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2009, 11:14 AM
It does sound like Epi, but obviously a blood test will prove it.

I had a shiba with it, and it was controlled just fine with the right medication.

Try not to worry x
Dee Buzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Many thanks for words of support for my epileptic dog. He had a couple more fits within the month so is now on medication twice a day. Fortunately he is absolutely fine now, so I can reassure anyone out there that having epilepsy isn't the end of the world!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Glad things have improved!