Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 12:37 PM

? Joint injury

Mo has been whimpering when she stretches for a few days now. We couldn't find out what was wrong and could touch her everywhere without her making any fuss.
Yesterday when my son came he patted her, not hard, and she yelped.
Last night she just couldn't get comfortable, then when it was time for bed she couldn't get up off her blanket and was yelping and crying.
When she did get up it was obvious it was her left front leg/shoulder that was causing the problem.
We settled her and she slept all night. Today she seems better except when she stretches when she gives a little cry.
Do you think she has pulled something, she does go mad in the woods. Today she has had a short walk just to do her business thats all.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Awwww poor little girl, I'm sure she's pulled something in her shoulder and injured it. I think a trip to the vets might be in order for some pain relief. She must be in pain to be yelping sometimes with it. Awwww, poor little thing. That's the trouble when they're overexhuberant isn't it! I had that with Cassie, always doing something to herself!
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Muscular problems in dogs occur most often where muscle fibres meet nerves, or in the nerves that supply the muscle. Strains, bruising, and tearing are overwhelmingly the most common muscle problems. Bruised, stretched, or torn muscle fibres are difficult to see, especially in dogs with full coats of hair. These forms of damage may be caused by injuries from falling and collision, and also by excessive work or exercise: Minor injuries produce local sensitivity and tenderness, while major damage causes more swelling and greater pain. Parting the hair may reveal reddening caused by muscle damage below. To treat bruised or torn muscles, rest is vital. If the damage is severe, at least three weeks rest may be required. A cold compress, applied to the affected area, can help to reduce inflammation and will minimize pain. If thats not enough give her some Carprofen.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Yep Helena you got it right there, she is crazy when she is out and meets another dog especially if it will run with her.

Colin thanks for such a useful reply.
I had decided rest was important that was why we kept it short this morning.
I have a feeling it is muscular and not the actual joint, I will give her a bit of a rest and see how she goes.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 01:12 PM
ours go mental once every so often and end up limping for a day ro so when they get up after -nick the eldest ahs atrthritus so he does himself no favours running round like a nutter -

hope she feels better sooon ((((hugs))))
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 01:17 PM
Thanks Suze, I will let you know how she gets on tomorrow.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Aww hope she is better soon - it is easy to get muscle strain especially when they have attacks of the zoomies (a Marius speciality!! )

Hopefully rest will be enough to sort her out - big hugs xxxx
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Hi everyone, have you tried to rest a lurcher?
Mo seems much better today. She is not whining so much when she stretches out.
A gentle walk on the beach turned into a mad chase after a whippet! so she was back on the lead. She doesn't seem to have suffered any ill effects though.
Hopefully now she will be ok.
Thanks for all you encouragement.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Glad she seems better now, and the answer to your question "no" I wouldn't like to either!! My friend has two of them and one is just totally, utterly maaaaaad!!! Adorable, but completely maaaad, he disappears for ages too when we're out, but he always comes back, sometimes with a few injuries though!!!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Glad Mo seems a bit better today x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >