Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jumbosdad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-02-2010, 03:26 PM

Poorly after spaying

Hi All
My 16 month Lab bitch was spayed on Monday and also had a small umbilical hernia repaired. Monday night although still groggy she apearedfine even so much as to bring me a toy when I got in from work.(my wife was with her all day!)
Tuesday she was a wee bit sick but ate her food no problems.She did have two episodes of her fron lets stiffening, but no fit like symptons. Saw vet on Weds for check up and she said it was probably a twinge of pain as it happened when she got up. She has since become lethargic, not eating or wanting to eat, not even cheese which is her favourite. She went back to the vet this morning , temp was fine , wound all clean and not swollen or oozing, gums pink and well perfused.
She is drinking and passing urine ok but obviously no feacaes as such, she was constipated on Tuesday and strained a bit. She isnt whining or crying as if she is in pain
I thought that it might be the Metacam as reading the information sheet it can have these effects. The vet didnt really seem to think that (without offending anyone she doesnt instill confidence in me from a prevous encounter with her 8 years ago but thats another story and she was only one available today)
Just wondered if any one else has had similar experiences like this. When we've had previuos bitches spayed or dogs castrated they normaly have made more progress that this
RedyreRotties
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-02-2010, 03:40 PM
IMO, this is not normal. I would worry about infection, and would definitely be seeking medical advice.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Must admit, I don't like the sound of this. As you say, normally they're off colour for say 24/48 hours but by now you'd be expecting her to be pretty lively.

Is there any chance that you can get a 2nd opinion from another vet?

Has she not had a poo at all since the op?
jumbosdad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-02-2010, 03:43 PM
she saw the vet this morning and we or I suggested we take her of the metacm just in case it was masking any infection although as I said her temp was normal and wound was fine
jumbosdad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-02-2010, 03:44 PM
She had a enormous poo on weds night and a few smaller ones that are quite hard but as I say she hasnt had anything really to eat
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2010, 03:50 PM
I would get a second opinion, I have had bitches spayed and they are as bouncy as anything, looking for food, insisting they get on the furniture even though they aren't supposed to stretch.

I know the vet has said the wound isn't infected but how can they tell what is going on inside? It could be anything really but something is obviously making her act out of character.

Could you maybe tempt her with something that she really likes? I know you mentioned cheese but what about a tiny amount of cooked liver, just to get her taste buds going. Mine also like scrambled/boiled eggs, white fish and chicken if they are a bit off colour. Once she has eaten properly and her bowels are working again she may be a lot happier.

I've got everything crossed she is going to be ok xx
jumbosdad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Tried her with all her favourites, including scrambled eggs and fish which she adores, just going to try her with some organic non additive baby food with pureed carrots as she loves these too. We've taken her off the metacam as that reduced temps so would be masking any infection that may be brewing. If no improvement by tommorow then another vet it will be
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by jumbosdad View Post
Tried her with all her favourites, including scrambled eggs and fish which she adores, just going to try her with some organic non additive baby food with pureed carrots as she loves these too. We've taken her off the metacam as that reduced temps so would be masking any infection that may be brewing. If no improvement by tommorow then another vet it will be
Poor little mite, and I bet you're worried sick, keep us posted on her, won't you x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2010, 05:28 PM
So sorry and I had the same recently. I was told it was a reaction tothe dissolvable stitches and my dog's wound flared up, she got ab's and got over it, but it took two or three weeks to get her back toher normal self I'm afraid. She only had Rimadyl's for two days no longer and quite honestly she was fine right up to her first re-visit 3 days later, it was all downhill from there for us. Glad she's poo'ing coz that would have been my biggest worry, coz my dog poo'd on the first night and was normal thereafter. Good luck, you might need to see another vet imo.