Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
continued..
what kind ot temperament does he have, is he bold or a little shy and unsure. If it is the latter I would try to praise him in a bright voice whenever you get the chance to boost his confidence
Oh he's definitely a bold and confident boy, there isn't an ounce of shyness in him!

Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Just a quick question regarding your actions.....

When he's done his 'creep' and he's holding that pose looking at you ready to "pounce".....

1) What does he do if you walk directly at him big, fast, bold, confident and upright ?

.......I suspect he'd either back down or at least drop the stare/pose and greet you with a waggy tail. At 4 months he may jump up and mouth you in which case stand still and ignore him.

2) What does he do if you run away ?

........does he chase you ? Again if he does - I'd probably stop and ignore him.

We've had similar behaviour and my guess would be that it's all down to who takes the upper hand when he's ready to pounce.

Give it a go but that would be my approach.
Sometimes i do walk directly upto him and just stroke him on the head and then he stops doing it.

Otherwise i ignore it as i don't want him to think pouncing at me or anyone is a fun game and is an ok thing to do.

I've never tried running from him when he does it but could almost guarantee that he'd chase. The OH plays chase games with him in the park and they've got to stop as if you run towards him he just runs away - not very good when you're trying to get him back on the lead.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Oh he's definitely a bold and confident boy, there isn't an ounce of shyness in him!.
Hi Esmed I think in that case I would try to use the behaviour to my advantage while you have his undivided attention.
I would offer a toy and as Monty came toward me add the word 'come' reinforcing that 'come' means going to you for a pleasurable experience.
Once he comes reward by praise and playing with the toy ,say throwing it, or request a sit/down before rewarding with praise (if his sit is still shaky lure him to sit with a treat moved over the head) . Or get him to sit and practice 'look at me' always giving lots of praise and the treat when he does.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Esmed I think in that case I would try to use the behaviour to my advantage while you have his undivided attention.
I would offer a toy and as Monty came toward me add the word 'come' reinforcing that 'come' means going to you for a pleasurable experience.
Once he comes reward by praise and playing with the toy ,say throwing it, or request a sit/down before rewarding with praise (if his sit is still shaky lure him to sit with a treat moved over the head) . Or get him to sit and practice 'look at me' always giving lots of praise and the treat when he does.
Thanks for this tip, i'd never thought about doing that. Will try it out and let you know how he gets on!!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2