Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 03:23 PM

dogs crying get extremly worse

i am really at the end here. thigns were going so well, i am 100% consistant and all of a sudden his jsut got worse out of no where!

he crys ALL of the time and i dont know why?!!? his not hungry/thirstyin pain. we have played had a training session and been walked and run off lead.

he is crate trained for a hour now and is fine, all of a sudden he wont go 5 mins without screaming the place down and barking, but he was fine up to a hour the other day?!!?
i dont let him follow me round the house he still crys i ignore him he crys, he crys if im here if im not here, if other people are here if we are at other peoples, if he is playing, if he is just sitting or laying ALL of the time?!

im doing the clicker training etc

i emailed 3 trainers for help one said she cant offer advice as what im doing she would tell me to?!

and the other said he is pack leader?! and i havent got what it takes to be pack leader?! but i AM a flippin pack leader i practice doing so every single day, and as for my dog being dominant......i really dont he is what so ever!?
i dont pamper my dog, he is a dog not a child!
he works for everything he gets, for example i dont give out treats he 'earns' them by doing training and then it takes him a hour to get it out of his treat ball!

i dont think it is axcently either i realyl think it is attention because the only time he doesnt cry is when he is off the lead..........infact i could be there or not he couldnt care less about me then!

im doing everything i can we have jsut moved home for this dog and i feel i am getting nothing back in return and i dont know what to do

when i get the new dog will this help him?!! or will he teach the new dog to cry?!?!

someone asked me if i was hurting him when i was out the other say as he was crying and i burst into tears do people think im abusing my dog because of this behaviour??
its so far from that i just cant beleive that someone would say that

why does he cry?! why?! i just dont understand
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 03:27 PM
no offence meant here hun, but have you taken him to see a vet? I think that would be my next step, as like you say, you've tried everything else .

In the mean time - big hugs. x
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by eloquence View Post
no offence meant here hun, but have you taken him to see a vet? I think that would be my next step, as like you say, you've tried everything else .

In the mean time - big hugs. x
yep ive told the vet all about it his fine and really healthy nothing wrong at all!!!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Your not going to want to hear this but I wouldnt even consider another dog at this stage (especially a larger breed like a gsd) You'll end up the new pup will copy Archie and you'll have all sorts of problems (I'm speaking from experince here btw).
Are you in your new house yet, he could be stressed because of this.
You say your pack leader, do you make him wait to go through doors and through gates, I also never let mine pull in front as give a welshie an inch and they'll take a mile.
If I was you I'd consider registering for a training course with other dogs.
I had a similar problem with Spence he loved me so much he couldnt bare to go out with me he was soo fearful, he'd scream and try to pull me home. He's almost 6 now and he still regresses back to this behaviour at times and I was told it was my fault when I got him he had a crate he slept in but we put it ant the side of the bed and used to carring him upstairs etc. Since then all my pups have there own eating and sleeping area, and i always make sure i dont feed them from the table until we've finished etc.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Your not going to want to hear this but I wouldnt even consider another dog at this stage (especially a larger breed like a gsd) You'll end up the new pup will copy Archie and you'll have all sorts of problems (I'm speaking from experince here btw).
Are you in your new house yet, he could be stressed because of this.
You say your pack leader, do you make him wait to go through doors and through gates, I also never let mine pull in front as give a welshie an inch and they'll take a mile.
If I was you I'd consider registering for a training course with other dogs.
I had a similar problem with Spence he loved me so much he couldnt bare to go out with me he was soo fearful, he'd scream and try to pull me home. He's almost 6 now and he still regresses back to this behaviour at times and I was told it was my fault when I got him he had a crate he slept in but we put it ant the side of the bed and used to carring him upstairs etc. Since then all my pups have there own eating and sleeping area, and i always make sure i dont feed them from the table until we've finished etc.
hiya no i know that about the other dog which is why i want this sorted now!

we havent moved yet wont be for another 6 weeks, so nothing at all has changed.

he must sit and wait for me to go first and he only can break his sitting when i say 'come on then' so i go frist, same as when he is in the car he cant leave untill i am out and i break his sitting by telling him to come on then!

he gets fed after me and he has to wait for it and he watches me until i tell him he can eat.

he only listens to me and does every command on the 1st go, he doesnt listen to my boyf or if he does its like the 4th go as my parter works 12/14hours a day so his hardly here!

i brush him everyday as i think it is great bonding he stands and sits quietly and i clip his nails, i do everything and i think he knows im the boss!

his never fed from my plate or if he has left overs i put it in the fridge for later after a trainin session. he doesnt go on my bed or near it anymore he loves his playpen and i jsut say 'bed time' and he runs right in it!

i can go where i want in the flat his not allowed to do so rooms are barred off from him, during the day, but i am allowed in them.

but thats it when we go out he doesnt cry he runs about happy as anything and we were mucking around playhing with him and i hid and he didnt cry when he couldnt see me he run off to play with another dog! not crying once!!

i really dont think its because he lvoes me and cant be with me, cos his not allowed to floow me, his crated when i have a shower his crated for 1 hour every evening it is a rountine since he was a pup. he is left alone with my parter for 1 hour every night while i go in another room.

i just dont know what to do anymore because i am stickin to everything i have been told to do 100%!

maybe im not the right owner for him? maybe its me and im expecting to much and im being selfish? i know his half bichon and they were bred to be lap dogs, maybe he needs to be pampered?! maybe he needsa fmaily who are at home and with kids and other puppies!?!?!

just at a loss
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Its impossible for any of us to say exactly why he's doing it, but as you know from your previous thread, personally I think it may be to do with him learning that making a noise was rewarding in your old home.

Its possible that because you were worried about having to get rid of him if there were complaints, everytime he made a noise he got a reaction from you, whether it was a 'shush' or you tried to entertain him.

As the vet has said there is nothing wrong with him, I think you have to be very firm with him now. Whenever he cries for no good reason, you pick him up and put him in another room. Listen out, as soon as he stops crying, let him back in again.

But you must be consistent, i.e. do this every time he starts crying and you must reward him (i.e. letting him back with you) every time he stops, otherwise he won't learn what is expected of him.

Also, don't forget that although we all say how to train a dog, they are all living, breathing creatures with their own personalities and traits; some good, some not so good. Very, very few people would claim to have a 100% perfect dog with no bad traits or habits - for many of us thats just all part of their character.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 04:17 PM
What is the crying like?? can you film it or something so we can see it
It does sound like you are working really hard - I dont agree with the pack leader stuff but what you are doing is good training - teaching him to wait and stuff
I think you need someone outside to have a look at how you interact and what his crying sounds like
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 04:22 PM
hiya thanks for that both of you.

with the crying we actually do ignore it now, hav edone for a long time so thats why are got a complaint.......cos we were ignoring him!! he never gets a reaction, which is what i dont understand surely he knows by now that crying = getting ignored?

the crying is a very annoying noise, more like a grunting pig!!! with a high pitched whine!!!!

i dont think it is crying as such but more attention 'hay im talking give me attention'

i do have a vidoe of it actually i will try and find it hang on!

just to add he never ever gets rewarded for crying but he does rewarded for when he is quiet oh also we are being alot firmer with him now so i think that is a good idea about the other room.

when we move there is a great place for him and i think it is time he stayed downstairs and where we can put him the neighbours wont be able to hear him cry if he does so that will be good for during the day aswell to practice keeping him quiet!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 04:24 PM
I can see your doing all you can but something isnt working as Hai said all dogs are different what worked for Spence didnt for Dice. His he crying when he's out on a lead as well and does he stop when you let him off.
I wonder if he's using it to blackmail you inot letting him have his own way. Even if you answer im when he cried your giving in as your giving him the attention he craves.
When I used to set off to the park with Spence if he made one murmer I ignored him and ccarried on going, with Dice (because he was pulling to play and wingeing to get off teh lead ) it was the opposite I never said a word but turned around and went home.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
hiya thanks for that both of you.

with the crying we actually do ignore it now, hav edone for a long time so thats why are got a complaint.......cos we were ignoring him!! he never gets a reaction, which is what i dont understand surely he knows by now that crying = getting ignored?

the crying is a very annoying noise, more like a grunting pig!!! with a high pitched whine!!!!

i dont think it is crying as such but more attention 'hay im talking give me attention'

i do have a vidoe of it actually i will try and find it hang on!

But the training of this does have to come in two parts - ignoring the bad behaviour is one, but he doesn't necessarily understand why you are ignoring him. As I say, I would do something more pronounced than just ignoring him - e.g. put him in another room until he stops and then praise him and bring him back.

I also think it will be so much easier for you when you are at your new house (I didn't realise until your later post that you aren't actually living in the new one yet)...Archie will have a garden to potter about in and so much more room to entertain himself.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »