View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ruralex
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-05-2013, 05:07 PM
I'm just curious as to why she hasn't been spayed? It seems to me that would certainly help with recall. All pets adopted from shelters here are spayed or neutered. It's a requirement. I guess the rules are different in other areas
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Personally I will never spay a bitch before her first season, even dogs I have had from a rescue I refuse to spay them until the have had a season. With older bitches I like them to have a season when with me so I can have her spayed at the right time.

A bitch matures a lot in her first season, she becomes an adult dog.

The timing is important when spaying a bitch, spay too close to her season and it can cause excessive bleeding which can lead to the bitch bleeding to death. The closer she is to her season the more blood is sent to her womb. This is why vets prefer to spay 12 weeks before and after her season.

These days it is normal for rescues to spay and neuter from 6 weeks old onwards, this is far too early, the pup doesn't get a chance to mature. There is evidence that may don't mature if spayed or neutered early, one of mine now at the Bridge was 17.5 years old and still had a puppy mentality and she isn't the only one I have had.

There is evidence that early spaying and neutering can stop the growth plates closing when they should so the pup grows bigger than they should.

There is also evidence of some breeds getting more bone cancer with early spaying and neutering. Spaying and neutering does not make aggression or the dog's recall being improved, only training does that.

I had a lot of information on my other computer but lost it when the motherboard went, I will try and find the links.
greatbarnet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by jp909 View Post
I Don't think it's a dog she after it's rabbits, she's just noticed them.
Hi

You've had lots of good advice regarding improving her recall, but I just wanted to say my St Bernard can become a nightmare at this time of year - there's young rabbits out in broad daylight all over the place, plus foxes out in the daytime trying to find food for cubs etc etc. My girl is fine the rest of the time and I get complacent, and then Spring/Summer comes along and she's off again, following her nose and taking no notice of me whatsoever. So as others have said, don't lose heart, there's a lot more distractions at this time of year.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
Hi jp909 - until recently my dog was a bolter too but for some unknown reason he seems much better.
Sandy
I'd say the reason your dog seems so much better recently is because of all the hard work you're putting into his training. Don't be modest, be proud and give yourself a pat on the back. Well done!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
I'd say the reason your dog seems so much better recently is because of all the hard work you're putting into his training. Don't be modest, be proud and give yourself a pat on the back. Well done!
Yes Baxter - I go along with that. What you are seeing is no doubt the results of your hard work and dedication!
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2013, 06:51 PM
many thanks for that I feel better knowing that what you say is what I'm doing, so I am on the right track.I Don't think it's a dog she after it's rabbits, she's just noticed them. I have put her back on a very long horses lunge lead. I think I'm just taking it to heart because she was well off the lead in my fields with no problem for months, so I feel like I'm really cruel now that she is not able to run free. she loves other dogs and won't leave them so I'm arranging runs with friends who dogs I know have really good recall. I don't care if she does agility or not, I just want her to have a much fun and freedom as possible, and to enjoy every moment of her life. many thank again
Freedom with you or freedom without you???
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Muddymoodymoo and Tangutica - you're both really kind, thank you. This site has been a godsend to me.

He's still a monster but a manageable monster now!

Can you believe this, I do 30 minutes pilates each morning just so that I can bend down, pick up his ball and throw and protect my back and hips.

I met with the behaviourist this morning and she had an assistant with her who said the first thing that struck her was that despite all the work I've done with him he still acts very independent and self-contained, early in the session I walked out the gate to get something from the car and both of them remarked that he hardly noticed me leaving. They both put it down to serious neglect when he was a puppy and an inability to bond with humans. As the hour progressed though he did attach himself to me - following me around a bit more, so they modified their opinion somewhat.

I felt sad for him, but not as sad as I feel for all the others I can't rescue.

Sandy
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Thank you so much thats brill, i am using long lines, but not stopping her before the end this I will do now. I have notice a marked improvement in the last week. That is no fear at all she comes brill as long as she hasn't picked up a fun smell, spotted a rabbit or another dog I have had dogs all my life and been lucky not to have ever had this problem before. She does not seen motiveted by anything normal like food or toys. But she is such a wonderfull kind dog. and because she is a labx span x staffie I really want to challange her or I think she will get fustrated otherwise, she likes to be active and doing something.

thanks again that was really useful
I have found that agility improved my dogs' obedience - perhaps through the fun of teaching/learning together.

It is interesting that your dog is not motivated by toys or food. Perhaps you haven't discovered the right treat or toy, or mental attitude (yours)......
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Muddymoodymoo and Tangutica - you're both really kind, thank you. This site has been a godsend to me.

Can you believe this, I do 30 minutes pilates each morning just so that I can bend down, pick up his ball and throw and protect my back and hips.

I met with the behaviourist this morning and she had an assistant with her who said the first thing that struck her was that despite all the work I've done with him he still acts very independent and self-contained, early in the session I walked out the gate to get something from the car and both of them remarked that he hardly noticed me leaving. They both put it down to serious neglect when he was a puppy and an inability to bond with humans. As the hour progressed though he did attach himself to me - following me around a bit more, so they modified their opinion somewhat.

Sandy
Those who have dogs with separation anxiety would envy you.

Anyway, everything might fall in place suddenly - and he will be the perfect dog. Keep that image in your mind.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 07:11 PM

Sandy
A monster but a monster you are immensely proud of!

My Bella is VERY independent. Doesn't even sit with me. Often doesn't sit in the same room as me all day unless she wants something (well until I bought the IKEA day bed! Still doesn't sit 'with me' but is in the same room now!)

But she sticks to me like glue when we are out and looks to me to protect her when she is spooked.

She didn't have a good start in life. Left her mum far too young and then got the parvo and nearly died. I've no idea if that's relevant or if Minpins are just an 'independent' little breed. She's definitely MY dog tho. I am the only one she listens to and obeys (she is quite good with my DiL who is delighted when she takes her running with her that she 'does as she is told')

She does not follow me from room to room. She is there right next to me for the first outing of the day and the subsequent two. But if I leave to go out other times she doesn't even get up or come to the door when I leave. Sometimes I will visit a neighbour on the same floor and she will decide she wants to go home before I do! This causes great hilarity as she will go to the door and bark once without looking round then trot to our flat when the door is opened. I let her in and go back to the neighbours! I've never known a dog like it!

For my part I don't have the pangs when leaving her in the boarding kennels that I'd have if she was a 'velcro dog'.

Everyone loves her - she's just a bossy, domineering, independent little 'gerroff me woman' dog!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >