Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 08:15 AM

Koda is leaving us. :-(

Hi ALl,

Firstly, thank you to everyone who offered advice when I was having problems house training Koda. Onc ehe had his own routine, compeltely separate from the other dogs,, the issues were resolved within a few days. Other than a couple of accidents that were entirely my fault, Koda has been perfectly clean in the house.

Unfortunately, after a lot of thinking, I've decided that this is not the right home for Koda. Although whilst in the house he can be watched to ensure he doesn't get up to mischief, when I'm out and can't take him with me, he has taken to chewing things like the exterior reinforced concrete wall. He managed to do quite alot of damage to this and as I can't "Koda proof" the outside of my house, I don't know what else I can do.

I've spoken with his breeder and she is happy to have him go home to her. Of course I'll be asking for updates on how he's doing. He'll always be a part of us now that he's got under our skin.

Thi sis so difficult, but as I said to my Son, we have to love him enough to let him go.

Laura xx
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Sounds like the right decision. I'm sure he will be absolutely fine back with his breeder.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Hugs to you and your son, i know how hard it must be for you, its a very unselfish thing you are doing. XXX
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 09:31 AM
hugs to you, i know its a hard thing to do but you are doing the right thing for the dog xxxx
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 09:47 AM
If you're leaving him outside, could he not be kenneled in a kennel/run so he can't access the wall etc. to damage? Many companies will add sheet metal to the inside of the wooden kennel part for chewers.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 03:18 PM
So glad you have decided that his needs are more important than yours. Also well done to his breeder for taking him back, how much better life would be if all breeders did this. You know that as well as being destructive as he gets older he is beginning to cause problems with the settled nature of your others & unless you are there 24/7 this could continue to escalate. I really think you are doing the right thing, though it means you miss out on the personal benefits he gives to you & your son , WELL DONE.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 05:00 PM
I was so sorry to hear this latest update Laura You do seem to have tried everything with Koda, but it seems he isn't the right dog for your household.

I do hope it isn't too painful (no such luck!) when handing him back to his breeder and I do hope he goes on to another home very soon.

Please don't think of yourself as a failure. Sometimes these things just don't work out, and you have Koda's best interests at heart.

I will be thinking of you on Thursday x
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-03-2012, 05:20 PM
hello there, my name is phil, im in the same situation.you are not alone.you are not a fail.i train dog and rescue rehome, all things dogs.i have a male pit who i rescued at 8 weeks,he is now 16 months.he is very dom and is now pushing himself on the rest of the pack,great dog all the way around,he is a true sighn of my abilities,and how i trained him...there is nothing i can do to curb his what to be at the top of the pack, iv got 3 other dogs that will not submit to him,makes for dangerous times in the back yard. i am so,pro pit and alll things good for pit.its hard to belive ,for me, that this guy will not fit in.i weep thinking that i have failed this dog.in reality, iv done him the best. it really hurts knowing that its my house ,that is not the best for him, i find some comfort in knowing he would do better in a different home...i posted him lastnight..this guy is my best friend..its not a good day for me, you are not allone.
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Having been in your position, twice, with my previous dogs (both mongrels with no breeders to go back to), I can sincerely sympathise. It is not an easy decision to come to, and you will always get those who say, oh you didn't try hard enough, but they don't walk in your shoes. You have given everything to Koda, and now you are doing the best thing for him by letting him go, where hopefully he can find the best environment for him! Many ((hugs)) x
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Its such an awfull decission to have to make but like everyone else says you did the right thing and im glad his breeder accepted him back, its just a shame things diddnt work out for you :<

At least you did everything you could for him while he was with you right till the end :>
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >