Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 12:44 PM

Dog locking leads.

Anyone else heard of these? Just thought I'd mention them as they could be handy when benching a shows.

I've known of them for sometime, but never really considered getting one. But then I read a thread on here recently about the possibility of dogs getting stolen when benched at shows.

Now obviously I'd still use a benching chain to prevent her from getting off the bench and/or strangling herself, but I thought if I use this too it'll give me peace of mind that she can't be taken by someone. Now I know there are some risks involved ie if there's a fire and the dog can't be freed. But Isla always wears ID with my mobile number on it so I see the risk as minimal tbh. Plus she's never left on the bench for long - I can't bear the guilt!

So, there are two to choose from:

Petloc
http://www.petloc.com/

or Ruffwears DogLock:
http://www.ruffwear.com/DogLock-Lock...=2&category=15

I went for the first one mainly because there are no keys (just combination locks) and there are two locks on this one which I guess is more secure.

It came this morning and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it. Easy to fit and not too heavy. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-06-2007, 01:28 PM
I do something similar, but instead of having a purpose built lead, I just use a padlock through the chain links on their leads.

Colin
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 02:02 PM
I use the DogLock - very, very handy! (And, unlike the petloc it fastens a different way so that you can adjust the size - great as T is always fluctuating in weight) I can lock her up in town if I need to pop into somewhere and ask one of the local stall holders to just watch her for me.

At least, it was great - until I lost the lock
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Colin - how does that work though? Surely someone could still take their collar off?
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 07:19 PM
I've the dog-locks but they can be fiddly using the keys, wish I'd waited for the pet-lock to come out the combi seems easier to use?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 07:23 PM
The only problem with the petloc, is once you've set the collar size you can't change it - yes, the doglock is fiddly, (and I've lost the locking bit ) but better value if you can use it on more than one dog, or growing dogs.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
The only problem with the petloc, is once you've set the collar size you can't change it.
Oh...that's a bit silly I'll stick with my dog-locks
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Colin - how does that work though? Surely someone could still take their collar off?
Only if your stupid enough to put your hand near Onyx's head, which I really don't advise as he really hates been chained to one place.

All my dogs wear a normal leather and chain half check collars that can not be opened, but when they go out I put on all on short chain leads using a key lock screw karabiner as I know that it can't get opened by mistake.

If I ever have to park them outside a shop or something then I just run a padlock through the chains around a pole.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Colin Bradish View Post
Only if your stupid enough to put your hand near Onyx's head, which I really don't advise as he really hates been chained to one place.

All my dogs wear a normal leather and chain half check collars that can not be opened, but when they go out I put on all on short chain leads using a key lock screw karabiner as I know that it can't get opened by mistake.

If I ever have to park them outside a shop or something then I just run a padlock through the chains around a pole.
I seriously hope you don't chain this dog up then, or you could have a very dangerous situation on your hands.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 08:49 PM
The only problem with the petloc, is once you've set the collar size you can't change it - yes, the doglock is fiddly, (and I've lost the locking bit ) but better value if you can use it on more than one dog, or growing dogs.
You could actually unscrew the rivet with an electric screw driver if you wanted to change the size. I'd just be sure that it's screwed in with one too so that someone can't unscrew it whilst the dog's tethered (although I very much doubt many people walk around with screwdivers on them, but at least if screwed with an electric it won't be removable with a manual one).

It also helps to have the screw side on the inside of the collar to prevent anyone getting to it when the dog is tethered, not on the outside like the manufacturers suggest!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >