Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-10-2011, 05:53 PM

Allergic angioedema attack

My tongue started swelling this afternoon, the first time for a while, so I went straight for my Prednisone tablets, only to discover that they are way out of date. Checked all of them [I have both 20mg and 5mg tablets] and all out of date.

Sudden thought - checked my Epipen and that, too, was out of date.

Not much I could do as it was a Holy Festival today and I did not want to press my emergency button [I subscribe to a private emergency medical service] unless absolutely necessary, so took a gamble and took 40mg of out-of-date Prednisone. Waited half an hour and the swelling had not started to go down [it also affects my throat] so took another 20mg, and luckily it is finally subsiding although I still cannot speak properly.

I have absolutely no idea what triggered this attack but then I never do. But I must get another prescription urgently on Sunday, and in the meantime carry on with the out of date pills [having taken 60mg I have to cut down by 5mg every two days, whereas if the 40mg had worked I could have cut them down by 5mg every day].

Booger.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 06:01 PM
That must have been really scary. As soon as you can I would get some new steroids and a new epipen and always make sure you have in date ones in the house.
I am glad you are feeling better. Please take care (((hugs))).
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
That must have been really scary. As soon as you can I would get some new steroids and a new epipen and always make sure you have in date ones in the house.
I am glad you are feeling better. Please take care (((hugs))).
Actually my immediate reaction was Oh sh*t!

I usually have an up-to-date supply of both 20mg and 5mg plus 2 Epipens but I cannot remember the last time I had an attack although I do remember having to use an Epipen as the Prednisone was not effective and there was a delay in an emergency doctor coming out.

Actually I have been lucky and the once frequent attacks eased off over the last four or five years, and I just forgot to periodically check the dates on the boxes. I do take a daily prescription H1-receptor antagonist anti-histamine as a precaution, and sort of put the attacks out of my mind.

Not a very wise thing to do in hindsight, was it.