register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-05-2016, 05:28 PM
Never knew Corgis could be affected, how interesting, wonder why, not something you hear of in small breeds
I've just skimmed through it as got the girls teas to hand out and tidy their beds up and clean the yard, will give it a proper read later.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2016, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by NickyAnn View Post
All carriers should be neutered or spayed, then the disease disappears over time. Your dog should not spread disease, the German shepherd is a beautiful breed, but I saw a 10 month old last week that was displaying dysplasia already, very sad.
It is not dysplasia though.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-05-2016, 05:48 PM
Ollie's DM was not SOD1 and was in his neck we had noticed a while before he was ill that when he walked his head hung low. Not long after noticing that and the muscle wastage on his head he became ill and his back end went.
He did have neuropathies too and his myelin sheaths were dying off and he also had the muscle problems which is why he was exercise intolerant for his 41/2 years. Very rare apparently and for a dog to get those problems together extremely rare.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2016, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Ollie's DM was not SOD1 and was in his neck we had noticed a while before he was ill that when he walked his head hung low. Not long after noticing that and the muscle wastage on his head he became ill and his back end went.
He did have neuropathies too and his myelin sheaths were dying off and he also had the muscle problems which is why he was exercise intolerant for his 41/2 years. Very rare apparently and for a dog to get those problems together extremely rare.
Such bad luck for poor Ollie, Lynn
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2016, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Please familiarise yourself with DM in the GSD and what affected, carrier and clear means.
I know what carrier means, and I know that these dogs should not be bred, even to a clear dog, because the moron doing this INTENTIONALLY SINCE THEY KNOW ONE DOG IS A CARRIER is creating MORE CARRIERS. Am I wrong?

Here is the thing about breeding that many do not understand, which is that no dog should be bred unless the breeder is expecting to create a better dog than the parents, not more disease cariers. Thus breeders that sell their pups without breeding rights should not be breeding in the first place because they know that the parent dogs are garbage. So if we got rid of these breeders breeding diseased dogs, then the 10 month old shepherd that I saw last week would not have laid down after limping as it played with my dog for two minutes. I did not have the heart to ask if the owner knew how sick her pup was going to be one day.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-05-2016, 08:13 AM
I know what carrier means, and I know that these dogs should not be bred, even to a clear dog, because the moron doing this INTENTIONALLY SINCE THEY KNOW ONE DOG IS A CARRIER is creating MORE CARRIERS. Am I wrong?
Yes you are wrong..

A carrier to clear = clear,
A carrier to carrier can produce both Clear , carrier, effected.
A carrier to effected can produce all or some of the above.

It is not as simple as just excluding carriers from the gene pool specially if said gene pool is small, you have to be careful you don't throw baby out with the bath water.

Here is the thing about breeding that many do not understand, which is that no dog should be bred unless the breeder is expecting to create a better dog than the parents. Thus breeders that sell their pups without breeding rights should not be breeding in the first place because they know that the parent dogs are garbage. So if we got rid of these breeders breeding diseased dogs, then the 10 month old shepherd that I saw last week would not have laid down after limping as it played with my dog for two minutes. I did not have the heart to ask if the owner knew how sick her pup was going to be one day.

I would have thought that the 10 mth old puppy could have been suffering from any number of issues that could be linked to its lameness, you must have X-ray eyes to be able to diagnose HD .

Tell me when you bought your own dogs, did you go to a breeder who health screened her dogs.?
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2016, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
Yes you are wrong..

A carrier to clear = clear,
A carrier to carrier can produce both Clear , carrier, effected.
A carrier to effected can produce all or some of the above.

It is not as simple as just excluding carriers from the gene pool specially if said gene pool is small, you have to be careful you don't throw baby out with the bath water.

I would have thought that the 10 mth old puppy could have been suffering from any number of issues that could be linked to its lameness, you must have X-ray eyes to be able to diagnose HD .

Tell me when you bought your own dogs, did you go to a breeder who health screened her dogs.?
I am never wrong, because if all carriers are fixed then the problem goes away. I recently looked at a puppy and the breeder told me that her bitch was a carrier for lupoid dermatosis and that the sire was clear. In this disease the pups then have a 50% chance of being carriers but can not have the disease. This is all true, but the bigger truth is that the breeder is a mentally retarded witch creating evil to spread thru the world that will someday effect some innocent family and their children and yea some little puppy that will lose it's hair and scratch off it's skin.

So if your bitch is a carrier of any disease fix it and know that you did the right thing. Or you can be a puppy mill and breed everything you have and feed them Purina's waste products.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5