Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2013, 08:42 AM

We just did our first "show".....

Yesterday was show day - Goosnargh & Longridge Agricultural show. Our training centre were doing the fun dog show and some of us were demonstrating agility.
On Thursday, we moved the equipment to the show ring, set it up and had a go on the course.
At the moment, Bailiie is doing pre-agility training, but they wanted beginners to help too, so we volunteered. We only have two more lessons before we move to proper agility training, and we have done it before but just for fun so no formal training etc. Thankfully Bailiie loves it
Well, on Thursday we had a go on the equipment full size (our first time with our new trainers) and it was fab Bailiie was great and showed just how much she loved it with her eagerness to get on everything; we managed everything except for the long jump which she totally wiped out
So, on Friday I decided to look for videos for how to do the long jump I set up a little pole and a piece of wood and told her to jump, as per video, then increased my pieces of wood 2,3 then 4 pieces, the latter being slightly higher, and yes, she did it, eventually, consistently Brilliant. She had loads of treats and praise then we stopped. I didn't want to overdo it.
Show day arrived and we had a couple of hours to train before the display, so we went round the course a couple of times and Bailiie did great, she cleared the long jump - the pieces were quite close together to allow all sizes of dog to clear it, all except the chihuahua! I was delighted.
Then it was display time, and after warming up, Bailiie and I had to go first
She did a great job, me too I think ( ) and I was so happy as she was portrayed as a beginner and this was our first time, and we cleared everything, including the bits of treat somebody had dropped on the floor!!!!
We ended on a high which was great. We did another display later in the afternoon and this time the long jump was set wider and to my amazement, my little Bailiie cleared it first time with just an instruction of "jump". I got a bit carried away and let out a big cheer before remembering we still had more to do. I can't say how happy I was
I now can't wait to start proper training because I have a dog that clearly loves it and is a great learner.
Anyway, sorry for the waffle, I just wanted to share my fab experience

Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Ah well done! It's very satisfying when it all comes together! A hint though - give her a different command for the long jump so she knows in advance to jump long and low. I use 'long' for mine as I teach them obstacle discrimination in the hope that, if I'm way behind and there's a choice of obstacle, they will take the right one!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Well done Bailiie
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2013, 09:30 AM

Bailiie !
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
Ah well done! It's very satisfying when it all comes together! A hint though - give her a different command for the long jump so she know in advance to jump long and low. I use 'long' for mine as I teach them obstacle discrimination in the hope that, if I'm way behind and there's a choice of obstacle, they will take the right one!
I thought I'd cracked it because I use "over" for normal jumps. Hence why I thought "jump" would be ok. But something for me to think about Thank you
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Polarbear2008 View Post
I thought I'd cracked it because I use "over" for normal jumps. Hence why I thought "jump" would be ok. But something for me to think about Thank you
No problem if you already have a different command!
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Well done Baillie - you are a star!!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2013, 08:43 PM
You sound really proud and rightly so
Well done to you both
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-07-2013, 06:15 AM
Well done to you and Bailiie, that's a brilliant achievement for you both
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by susannah92 View Post
Well done Baillie - you are a star!!
Thank you, I too think she's a little star but I guess I'm allowed to be a bit biased

Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
You sound really proud and rightly so
Well done to you both
Thank you. I really am proud, and I've volunteered to participate in the next show my training club are attending, with my Bailiie of course! We start proper agility in just over a week - we have our last pre-agility on Saturday morning. Yay, we are super excited

Originally Posted by cacoll View Post
Well done to you and Bailiie, that's a brilliant achievement for you both
Thank you so much; who knows where it will all end up? No plans for competing at this stage though, we are just doing it for the pleasure and Bailiie really does love it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >