View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 02:50 PM

New puppy and older dog introduction issues... help!! :)

OK - so long story short... after Chuck died, my parents set about finding a pup for company for Blackie. They got little Enzo from a breeder up the country about 2 weeks ago now. Coming up to two weeks anyway. He's a darling little fella, really adorable nature, and we hoped things would go smoothly... but Blackie isn't happy he's not a fan of the pup at all

We've tried many attempts to introduce them, and though very very slow, things seemed to be going OK - Blackie was obviously apprehensive, but tolerant of Enzo, and they were not allowed to meet offlead (or at least, nto Enzo in case he bounced on Blackie and upset him)... and everything was going well with Blackie receiving much praise for just moments of contact with no agression shown. The other day however he snapped at Enzo, and then when I pulled Enzo away he vaguely snapped towards me. I think this was a mistake on his part, and he's seemed very miserable and cowed since but of course, Enzo is so small, and Blackie so large, and everyone is now a bit nervous to try and intro them much in case Blackie does some real harm

He's a rescue, and although he always got on fine with the other dogs that were here, they were here first, and he *hates* other dogs on his territory he can never meet my dogs for example, and the one or two occasions where they have met at my parent's house, we've only narrowly escaped nasty conflict.

I just don't know what to advise them. They obviously don't want to return Enzo (and of course, getting rid of Blackie is not an option). I have said we'll take him if we have to - but I really don't want it to work out that way, we really want to do all we can to try and get Blackie to get on with him, after all, I think he would benefit greatly from a new friend as he does love other dogs (off his territory!).

Any help or advice appreciated

xx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 12:14 PM
2 weeks is a very short time.

If it helps all my dogs have wanted and sometimes succeeded in putting a hole in my new puppy.

It is natural

Have you got a crate so that each can be separated for some time?

It usually takes several weeks for the older one to come to realise the pup is staying and not going back................
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Hi Laura in most instances of introducing a dog and a puppy I would suggest...,
..spend time with each separately,
..try to take them out together on the lead as much as you can, lots of short walks (there are lots of distractions outside so they will not be focusing on each other so much and will have a chance to get used to each other),
..I would not try to force the pace, they need to get used to each other in their own time,
.. put up a baby/dog gate or use a crate so they can see each other from a distance,
..I would let the puppy sleep on a towel then put it in other dogs bed so that he can get used to the scent of the puppy,
..I would not pay a lot of attention to the puppy when the two are in close proximity.

However you have said..

He's a rescue, and although he always got on fine with the other dogs that were here, they were here first, and he *hates* other dogs on his territory he can never meet my dogs for example, and the one or two occasions where they have met at my parent's house, we've only narrowly escaped nasty conflict.

this is rather worrying . I don't think you have said how old Blackie is.
Bear in mind some older dogs have never experienced puppies and can't cope with being hassled by them. Some have age related pain and can be fearful and protective of being hurt . It is early days yet but I am not sure if it is fair to introduce a puppy in this instance.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
It usually takes several weeks for the older one to come to realise the pup is staying and not going back................
Oh this reminds me of the primadonna bossy top cat when we got the dog. About a week or two later we booked Woof in for the big snip at the Vet, and of course left him over the day to be "done", came home for the inbetween hours and the cat positively crowed and grew inches with pride that she thought her dedicated campaign of hissing and loo brush tail impressions had worked and she'd seen off the hairy, slightly pongy alien intruder.

Her face when he returned a few hours later was an utter picture! I shouldn't laugh but I did.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks both.

Blackie is a large fella, so we're not comfortable just leaving it to chance as it wouldn't be minor injuries we fear.

Mini - it's rather worrying alright, but we had no idea he'd react like this to a new pup and obviously we want to give neither fella up

We will try all of the things you have suggested that we haven't tried already, and keep persevering. Enzo has a crate, and we do let them together for periods of time - but Blackie has a nasty habit of peeing on the crate when Enzo's in it marking his territory I guess :/

xx
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Sounds perfectly normal to me, Rjj my oldest BC doesn't like puppies especially when they are very small. I've never had a male that liked puppies "instantly". He tolerates Wukee(who is a very in your face type dog)& just before Xmas decided he liked Keewee & was instigating play with her-she was by then 5 months old.

I would never leave a puppy & a bigger adult dog together without crating one of them. I would also never restrict either of them on by keeping them on lead, it doesn't give either dog the ability to remove itself from the other dog.

Now I only leave Roodee(my Cavalier), Wukee & Keewee alone if I nip out of the house(although Wu is crated as Keewee is just finishing her first season). These three are the 3 norty ones & interact well, Keewee is almost as big as Jessie now & so there is no danger of Wu hurting her in play.

I would crate the puppy on a regular basis so Blackie has some "down"time & quality time with you.

As for him peeing on the crate & would put some washable covers(like old towels)around it & keep an eye on him & if he looks as if he is going to pee distract.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks

Yes, we've done that with the crate, he doesn't seem to be getting the message though!

Blackie does have plenty of down time, and plenty of time with members of the family, as he's currently pretty much living in the lounge and Enzo in the kitchen. They meet several times a day for a short time, and also have time where Blacks is in the kitchen and Enzo in his crate... perhaps this is what we're doing wrong? Should they be together more often so Blackie realises that Enzo is staying?

xx