Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
venus
Dogsey Junior

16-05-2005, 09:03 AM

getting puppy ready for the show ring

hi,

i am just wondering if any of you knowledgable people can help. my staffy is just gone 5 month, and will be ready for the show ring in time for southern counties. can any advise me on how much excercise she should be having. i spoke to some people at a show on saturday who said i should not be giving her any at all, and i f i really have to then just to take her around the block. i asked why, and they said if i excercise her too much, she will get too tall? she loves going on the beach and it will be a shame to stop taking her, but on the other hand, i don't want a staffy the height of an german shepard!!!lol!!

thanks!!
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 09:09 AM
can i ask what breed the people had that you spoke to at the show
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-05-2005, 09:22 AM
Hi Venus the amount of exercise you can give your really depends on what time you devote to your pup ,just do not overdo the exercise it should be enjoyable for you and the pup and at this stage the pup should not be going home knackered ,as to whoever told you about to much exercise making a pup grow to big that is complete rubbish your pup will only grow to whatever size his genetics make him grow provided its getting the proper nutrition .
Whenever you talk to anybody about exerciseing a dog have a good look at the person you are talking to and say to yourself do they look like somebody who is capable or likely to be doing what they say ...example they tell you i walk my dog 10 miles everyday do they look like somebody who would do this because there are a lot a people that will give advice but dont practise what they preach concerning exerciseing a dog
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by venus
hi,

i am just wondering if any of you knowledgable people can help. my staffy is just gone 5 month, and will be ready for the show ring in time for southern counties. can any advise me on how much excercise she should be having. i spoke to some people at a show on saturday who said i should not be giving her any at all, and i f i really have to then just to take her around the block. i asked why, and they said if i excercise her too much, she will get too tall? she loves going on the beach and it will be a shame to stop taking her, but on the other hand, i don't want a staffy the height of an german shepard!!!lol!!

thanks!!
too tall? noooooooooooooo

The reason for taking exercise easy when they are young is to not be too harsh on the joints and muscles.
Staffs as we know are hardy little things and would go on forever if we let them and then they would damage themselves
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Once your dog is 6months, it should be impossible for you to over walk her on a lead, let her enjoy periods off lead, but equally important if not more so is adequate rest, and good nutrious diet. I am assuming that you know not to exercise her in extreme heat,
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 11:36 AM
Generally you dont over exercise large breed dogs, because of joint problems later in life, both my pups are 5 months at the moment, they will be large when they grow (Alaskan Malamutes), so what they get is running round the garden and playing, then I take them for a walk, but I only give them a mile on lead, this will increase as they get older, til they are getting the same as my older dogs which is approx 5 miles a day,on lead, or running alongside my bike, I dont let these off lead anywhere unless the area is fully enclosed and safe.

Mo
venus
Dogsey Junior

16-05-2005, 12:31 PM
hi emma,
the lady i spoke to in particular has quite a well know staffy on the show circuit, but the other people who were there aswell have staffy's. i take her to the beach with my other staffy and my bulldog, and then she will come home and be put to bed for a couple of hours, otherwise she never sleeps!!. i know different owners have different opinions, and i am glad that it is okay to walk her. she loves it, and she is getting a nice shape, not overdone and not underdone, i would say she was okay, and again thanks for the advice. i don't exercise her in extreme heat i only take her out early in the morning or early evening, she is a bit of a sunworshipper so i don't think she would want to go anywhere if she has a chance to sunbathe!!
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 07:24 AM
Just exercising on the lead should be enough at five months. My two Cocker pups come out with the adults, but i keep them on the lead. A lady in Cockers once told me the same as you were told, that excercising to young would make them leggy. It hasn,t happened to any of mine yet
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2005, 04:42 PM
The reason we restrict exercise in young dogs is to prevent damage to bones and joints.Exercise should be carefully monitored til about 12 months of age and then gradually increased.At 6 months old 30 minutes lead exercise is sufficient per day.
Archer