Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2006, 01:30 PM

For Steve.

I know it's a very sad day for you today Steve because it's 12 months since your beloved Abe went to the bridge. We all loved Abe on the old BBC boards and loved to hear of his norty antics and what a loyal and good friend he was to you. Hope you're bearing up okay today Steve.:smt058
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2006, 01:45 PM
Aww didn't know it was the anniversary
Love to Abe X
All the best Steve
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Thinking of you today Steve.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2006, 04:39 PM
My thoughts are with you Steve, i too had forgotten it was a year ago today (i think i was a member when Abe died)
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Thanks Foxy and all.

Time has gone by very quickly and i know we all move on,but i still miss Abe.Im still kinda bitter that he died at only 6 years old and i dont mind admitting he was looked after better than some parents do their own children so in theory-it should have prolonged him,but life is very unfair.

I really thought getting his thyroid problem & his arthritis under control was a real turning point and he genuinly had a lust for life.In his last few weeks,i saw a side to Abe which had been buried for couple of years with him chasing balls,playing with other doggies,but then he got ill.The vet discovered a shadow inside him,but cause of his size-the x-rays were not clear enough and blood tests did not reveal anything untoward.He recovered after a few days and he was back to normal.The vet thought he had caught an infection,but warned me the 'shadow' maybe something or nothing.

Then about 6 weeks later on the 23rd May-i came home and he was laying by front door and would not get up.I rushed him to vet and they gave him an injection to lower his temp as he was burning up.I took him back the next day,but they needed to keep him in for more tests.Eventually,they admitted defeat and reffered him to the Royal Veterinary college in Cambridge and got me an appointment for the next day.They decided it would be best if they kept him with themselves over night and i would pick him up the nextday to take him to Cambridge.

I went to see him in the afternoon and he was clearly a lot worse than when i had left him in the morning.I sat down in the cage with him stroking him and after about 15 minutes-he lifted his head to look at me.He looked everso sad,but i was none the wiser that this would be my last time with him.

I got a phone call at 8.30pm saying Abe had died and my world fell apart.

Turns out-the shadow was a tumour in his stomach and it would have been inoperable so even if he hadnt had died-he would have had to been put to sleep.This may sound odd,but i would have liked to have had this option with Abe to prove that my final present to him would have been relief.
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Bless him and so young too
Lovely picture
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Bless him, thinking of you today Steve. Hope he's happy over the bridge xx
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2006, 08:24 PM
it doesnt sound odd steve he would have known you would have done your best for him.
you kick yourself when you don't know its the last bit of time you have together i did with ben, took him to the vets thinking it could be sorted out and he will be home in a few days thinking hes in the best place.
he never got better only worse untill we had to call it, mark saw him and was with him i couldn't face seeing him in such a state but i regret not being there even if he didn't know i wasn't.
he knew how much he ment to you steve you had a bond that wouldn't have broken.
6 years is nothing but he had 6 happy years with you as his soul mate.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Very sad Steve, Abe was a brave soldier, and taken from you too soon. x
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2006, 08:32 PM
That's so sad thinking of you xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >