Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2010, 05:27 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
not something i would ever do but it always amazes me how many people do it frequently and with dogs who would be prime stealing material too.

I was at Tesco the other day when someone tied up a beautiful Rhodesian Ridgeback and her pup and went in, its a massive 24hr tesco on the road out of the city, and they were still there when I came out 20 minutes later so clearly not a nip in trip !!!

Just think its a shame as they could be at home happily curled up on the sofa.

I would never leave Bruno as he would kick up such a fuss with his whining, that people would think he had been abandoned, but primarily because he could get stolen, abused by horrible people, or chew threw his lead and wander, or worst scenario if someone tied up another dog beside him then he would attempt to eat it !
That would be Molly too, in fact I'd be really surprised not to see her and post following me into the supermarket!
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2010, 09:01 AM
I find it sad when epople leave dogs outside and it's not just a quick 'need some milk' run. I guess this is mostly becasue Jet hates it. If it's a big shop and he can't see me, he'll kick up a right fuss and generally make a prat outta himself xD

He's okay with the little village shop, but clearly hates it because every time we walk past, he drags me past the shop as if to say 'NO, no you're not going in there!'
Silly boy.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2010, 09:04 AM
I leave Lana tied up sometimes outside a shop. I don't like doing it and am always terrified someone will steal her but she absolutely hates being left on her own at home so sometimes it's the lesser of two evils.

I don't know if that's why she ended up in rescue but if left on her own she barked constantly and worked herself up into a bad old state by the time I got back home. Usually it would be just 15 minutes while I nipped out for bread or milk or something. She was getting better though.

We moved house 2 weeks ago. I haven't left her on her own at all since we moved here. I also don't really have any food or anything in the house We had to move from a bungalow with a garden to a 2nd floor flat but most neighbours work during the day so will be starting tomorrow nipping out for a couple of seconds and back in again and do this constantly hoping at some point in the future she can be left on her own. I would much rather that she was safely at home and not tied up somewhere.

Since moving I have been walking back to shop where we used to live if I need to get bread or milk or something as she knows the shop and is more used to being tied up there. Just before we moved we went 3 days without her barking outside. That's more scary for me in a way because if she doesn't bark I don't know if she's still there If there's a queue in the shop I would wait until no one was there before nipping in so she's never left for long.

My uncle used to leave his dog lying outside the shopping mall. Not tied up or anything, it simply lay there waiting for him to come out.

I can't wait for the day when I can leave her happily and safely at home.
malwhit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-05-2010, 02:26 PM
I would never leave a dog tied up outside a hop, even for a minute. It only takes a second for someone to untie a dog and either steal it or let it wander off.

I am also concerned about idiots who may torment the dog or give it a kick in passing - if the dog retaliated, no doubt the dog and owner would be found at fault.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by malwhit View Post
I would never leave a dog tied up outside a hop, even for a minute. It only takes a second for someone to untie a dog and either steal it or let it wander off.

I am also concerned about idiots who may torment the dog or give it a kick in passing - if the dog retaliated, no doubt the dog and owner would be found at fault.
these are the exact reasons i wouldn't leave a dog tied up outside a shope for a SECOND!

Just yesterday outside the local supermarket, 2 young kids were barking and lunging teasingly at a tied up dog, whilst the dozy mother just carried on with her business at the cashpoint. (I told her don't worry.) Poor dog looked really stressed. Looking back I wish i'd casually waited around for the owner and told

But IMO if he didn't care enough for the dog to just leave him tied up open to abuse like this then he probably wouldn't care what the dog had just been subjected to.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-05-2010, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't and couldn't leave Ollie tied up outside a shop.

If anyone tried to steal him he would bite their hand off, if a child tormented him he would more than likely bite, and he would also bark the place down till I got out.

I find it sad as someone said they saw a dog being tormented, now why do these dogs seem sound even though they are subjected to this behavior and Ollie is people shy and re active to some dogs even though he has been well socialized and taken everywhere with us when younger and had nothing but positive training and love in his life from the day we brought him home at 8 weeks.

He much prefers to be at home nose against back door till we return or on the sofa watching till we get back.

Crowds and strange people would stress him out.

The dogs I see tied up amaze me.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Lovely doggy, nothing nicer than getting that bond with your dog.

I find it deeply disturbing how often I come across this though. I want to make a sticker and carry packs of them with me. They'll say ''Did you see me stick this on your dog? That's how easy it would be for it to be taken''.

I wonder if it would work though.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Lovely doggy, nothing nicer than getting that bond with your dog.

I find it deeply disturbing how often I come across this though. I want to make a sticker and carry packs of them with me. They'll say ''Did you see me stick this on your dog? That's how easy it would be for it to be taken''.

I wonder if it would work though.
What a good idea!

I left Parker tied up outside the nearby Tesco metro whilst I popped in. As it has a fully-glassed frontage I could see him all the time I was in there. Unfortunately I had tied him near a rubbish bin and as I was waiting in the queue he jumped up with his paws on the bin and grabbed a half-eaten sandwich out and began to eat it!
Free food- "Every little helps" as they say!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2