Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Is your vet providing the necessary stamp or letter or whatever to say that the jab has been successful. (This was discussed on your other thread a few weeks back)
Yes he is.

Originally Posted by Bilclarie View Post
You will have to have the blood test done 4 weeks after the jab has been given and it has a positive result back other wise you won't get your dog back in England after your holiday!!!!!

Mo and the Gang
Yep, I know

Originally Posted by Ziva View Post
LOL - no I know it doesn't take 6 months to do the actual sample!

But is it 6 months before you get the letter saying your dog can come back into the country?
You have to wait six months from the date the blood sample confirming the rabies jab has worked to re-enter, so minimum you have to allow 7 months (allowing the 30 days for the blood sample to be taken). However, that will not be sufficient if the 1st jab has not worked, as he will then need another jab and blood test. That is how I understand the position, but you need to check with Defra to be sure.

No doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2008, 06:34 PM
The 6 months start from the date of the positive titre test & there will be a valid from date put on your dogs passport from the titre test paperwork
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Ours have the 3 year jab too.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
Yes mine have had the 3 year rabies jab
In another thread you said your dogs were not vaccinated and went straight out as pups. Can you have the pet passport with just the rabies jab? I've been reluctant to look into pet passports because I thought mine would have to be up to date with all boosters and stuff as well, which they are not. I would be interested if it was just the rabies jab, so we could go touring Europe.

Cheers,

Gill
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
You have to wait six months from the date the blood sample confirming the rabies jab has worked to re-enter, so minimum you have to allow 7 months (allowing the 30 days for the blood sample to be taken). However, that will not be sufficient if the 1st jab has not worked, as he will then need another jab and blood test. That is how I understand the position, but you need to check with Defra to be sure.
That all seems logical to me, so now if I want to be really safe I need to allow 14 months (i.e. 7 months and just in case the first fails another 7 months )

So if I want to take my dogs to UK for a holiday then I should plan on it being sometime after March 2010
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2008, 09:51 PM
I was told by the vet that did Isla's rabies vacc that you need to be careful as every country stipulates different time lengths between vaccinations. I think he said France requires it to be re done every two years, where as some other say 3 years?

Not sure how true this is, but Isla's due to have her re vaccination next Novemeber, 2 years after the initial one just to be safe.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I was told by the vet that did Isla's rabies vacc that you need to be careful as every country stipulates different time lengths between vaccinations. I think he said France requires it to be re done every two years, where as some other say 3 years?
Well I can confirm that in this part of Europe it's every year, at least that's what our vet said and they get a little 'heart shape' tag for their collar which has the date and a reference number on it. It is mandatory that the dog wears this tag at all times outside of the owners property.
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2008, 11:27 AM
In slo it is also mandatory for dogs to be vaccinated against rabbies every year - even if the vaccine is good for 3 yrs - it is simply the law. In slo your dog does not have to wear a tag because every dog must be microchipped (it is done with the first rabbies vaccination)
I think most european countries have the law where you have to have your dog vaccinated every year.

You have to first microchip your dog, than you need to have him vaccinated against rabbies and wait for approximately a month. Than the vet takes a blood sample and they test it to see if there are enough antibodies present in the blood. If everything is OK in dogs it ussually is) than you have to wait for 6 months before you can enter UK. But you must not leave EU zone in 6 months before traveling (ex you can't go to croatia). Between 48 and 24 hrs prior to entering UK your dog has to be treated for worms and ticks.
So yeah, kind of hard to get in UK with dog, but at least there is no more quarantine like it was...

BUT if you want the titre test (antibodies) to be valid for the rest of your dogs life you have to make sure you are up to date with rabbies vaccination - which as I understand it means that you have to have your dog vaccinated every year, no matter what the manufactorer says...
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Well I can confirm that in this part of Europe it's every year, at least that's what our vet said and they get a little 'heart shape' tag for their collar which has the date and a reference number on it. It is mandatory that the dog wears this tag at all times outside of the owners property.
Am I right in thinking that this only applies to animals residing in those countries and not if you live in the UK and are visiting?

It's soooo bl**dy confusing!
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-12-2008, 10:58 AM
OK, so if I understand correctly what is being said, you need to fall into line with both the Defra UK rules, and the rules of the country you are visiting as regards how often to vaccinate?

Does anyone know what authority one must check with if travelling to France as to how often the vaccination must be carried out?

Cheers!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >