Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 03:41 PM

Kismet vomiting help!

Poor Kismet has been up all night vomiting, she had kibble and rice for her dinner last night as Selkie was feeling under the weather (she had not thrown up before the rice dinner) but she began throwing up shortly after her dinner and continued through the night and all day today! She seems depressed and off colour and has lost her appetite.

I am worried of course that she may have an obstructed bowel, we know she has been chewing a packet of napkins that she managed to get down from the side.

I have given her a couple of dry biscuits today, she'll eat if the others are in competition, but she was not able to keep them down. There is some diarrhoea in the garden, but I don't know if it is hers or Selkie's I haven't been able to see her go toilet.

I don't want to take her to the emergency vet if I can help it, (they are so expensive), but obviously I will if things seem to get worse. Is there anything you think I can do or give her to help?
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 04:03 PM
It happened to one of my dogs, the symptoms were the same and he did have an obstructed bowel and required surgery. Fingers crossed it is nothing so serious but please do not hesitate in contacting the vet just incase.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 04:17 PM
I have phoned the vet, but the emergency vet costs £110 just to look at her...
If she has managed to obstruct her bowel. can she cope over night? Selkie has eaten all manner of crazy things, and been very very ill, never required surgery though, always managed to flush it through on her own or with an enema...

She's so depressed, not herself at all.

Why couldn't she do this when the vets are open? !
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 04:22 PM
I think the quicker a dog is diagnosed and operated on the better. However, that is assuming that yout girl has a blockage. Perhaps you could ring the vet back and mention your fears? See what they say. Is she insured?
DalaiMama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Is Kismet drinking and keeping water down? If not then fluids will need to be given. If he can't keep water down then prompt attention is vital as dehydration gets serious quickly. Not a vet or vet nurse but have learned this from my vet.

Is the inside of his mouth is usual colour? If it is paler than usual then it is a sign that the dog is in shock and, again, being seen sooner than later is vital.

I know emergency vets are expensive but you have to weigh that against how you would feel if anything happened, how much you would pay to get your dog back again...

I speak from experience here, we lost a Spaniel waiting over the weekend (my parents' choice, I was a child at the time).

I don't want to scare you but persistant vomiting is one of the criteria I use for deciding whether to take to the vet.

Hope all is ok, its very scary when they are ill, especially when they can't tell you whats wrong.
Angel44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Hope Kismet is okay. We had this recently with one of our dogs, and as I had given them bones the day before I was worried it may be an obstruction. We took her straight to the vet, 24 hours, barium x-rays and a hospital stay later we had a vets bill of nearly £400 They couldn't find any blockage so it turns out our little girl had enteritis. Very expensive day But at least she was okay
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 05:09 PM
If it was me, I'd go to the vet....... is it really worth the risk of losing Kismet?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
If it was me, I'd go to the vet....... is it really worth the risk of losing Kismet?
Same here.

Hope Kismet is better soon.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 05:37 PM
I would say the vet sounds the best option as well.

Hope she is on the mend soon xx
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 05:39 PM
We took her on a bit of a walk around the block in case it is colic or something that may be shifted with a bit of light exercise and she perked up outside. She drank plenty when she got back in, she's drinking and is keeping it down for now. I'm still watching her. If she loses the water she has just drunk, then we'll be heading straight to the vet...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >