Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 08:11 AM

Perming Hair - children? Odd Question sorry

Just wondered if its me being a 'stick in the mud' or behind the times but at what age would you think acceptable for children to perm their hair?

My eldest is 11 and one of her friends has had hers done and I was a bit surprised that she was 'allowed'!

Luckily Emily won't want hers done and to be honest I would say no - JMO but don't think its right at that age?

Guess I am a bit of a moody old grump!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Mmmmm - my gut feeling is that 11 is a bit young, i would be more concerned with boosting the child's confidence (particularly girls) in their natural appearance. Girls have so much pressure to conform to rediculous beauty standards that are unobtainable for the most.

So i don't think you are grumpy at all! Perms ruin hair and the longer you can put off having it done the better in my opinion.......mind you this is coming from someone with naturally curly hair you never does much with hers at all and only has it cut once in a blue moon!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Just wondered if its me being a 'stick in the mud' or behind the times but at what age would you think acceptable for children to perm their hair?

My eldest is 11 and one of her friends has had hers done and I was a bit surprised that she was 'allowed'!

Luckily Emily won't want hers done and to be honest I would say no - JMO but don't think its right at that age?

Guess I am a bit of a moody old grump!

Here is another one...

There is no way would I allow a 11 /12/13 yr old to have her hair permed..or coloured for that matter.

At that age, I am the one who makes the decisions for my children, they may want to do something and nag me to death, but they know (or did) that when the answer was no, it meant no!!
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2008, 08:22 AM
I agree - I was seventeen when my mum let me perm my hair (I had it done for her wedding).
I first coloured my hair when I was ten for a fancy dress party, but it was a semi-permanent one that washed out after a few weeks. I think I was fifteen before it was coloured again.

I always think it's awful when I see young girls, from between seven and eleven, who are dressed in mini-skirts, crop tops, ridiculous stilletto heels and so much makeup on that they look like clowns Whatever happened to children being children? It's not surprising that more and more kids are having self-esteem issues these days.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 08:24 AM
My daughter went through a phase about a yr ago,wanting her hair permed,coloured etc...
I said No,I am a qualified hairdresser and I wouldn't allow her to have anything done chemically till she's at least 14.
I had my hair permed at 12 though purely because it was so oily and it was hoped it would dry it out a bit.

She has lovely hair,blonde and straight,so she is starting to straighten it etc,it's much better than using chemicals.

I'm a right one to talk though I did everything to mine,permed,coloured,bleached etc
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Just as a by the bye my hairdressers do not even do perms these days. They just do not seem to be around like they used to be?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 08:26 AM
My sis had a perm at about that age, maybe a little older?
I had my hair permed at 15ish.
Been colouring my hair since I was 13! It's never been in bad condition! Started with wash in/wash out, then onto semi, now onto permanent - but was nearly always odd/bright colours
Was never into makeup/dressing in short skirts etc though!

I think as long as they are prepared to take care of it....!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by Sez & Amber View Post
I agree - I was seventeen when my mum let me perm my hair (I had it done for her wedding).
I first coloured my hair when I was ten for a fancy dress party, but it was a semi-permanent one that washed out after a few weeks. I think I was fifteen before it was coloured again.

I always think it's awful when I see young girls, from between seven and eleven, who are dressed in mini-skirts, crop tops, ridiculous stilletto heels and so much makeup on that they look like clowns Whatever happened to children being children? It's not surprising that more and more kids are having self-esteem issues these days.
I know that's the thing lots in her year are so obsessed with their appearance - at the youth club last week I actually commented to my OH when I got home that looked like they were going for a night on the town (working I might add!) how their mums let them out like that I don't know - they looked awful!

I still buy Em's clothes at the mo and allow her to ahve choice but if I don't like it - its a no!!!

I know they are growing up so much quicker but surely as parents we can still have some say ?
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Mmmmm - my gut feeling is that 11 is a bit young, i would be more concerned with boosting the child's confidence (particularly girls) in their natural appearance. Girls have so much pressure to conform to rediculous beauty standards that are unobtainable for the most.

So i don't think you are grumpy at all! Perms ruin hair and the longer you can put off having it done the better in my opinion.......mind you this is coming from someone with naturally curly hair you never does much with hers at all and only has it cut once in a blue moon!
Thanks for that - glad I'm not a grump - did doubt my own thoughts though!

And they are all wearing make up - Em has a little gloss I allow if we are going out but no mascara which seems to be the in thing too!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Cheers ladies - just was wondering - trying to think when I started to put those wash in colours in my hair - but sure it was the upper senior school - and think stopped when it went green!!! EEK!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >