Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 10:56 AM

It's six months today....

... since I lost my job.
Still looking, but it's incredibly difficult outside of Dublin. I have had companies not even interview me because I live a way off and "I won't drive there in the winter when it's frosty" try living in East Anglia!
I would mind less if Irish companies were staffed with efficient, competent people but the ones I have dealt with suggest not. It seems that is not wanted.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Is there not anything you could do from home?
Becky
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Oh deccy , hopefully your luck will change soon , besides Gill you are not the one missing out if these companies dont want you , they are the ones missing out by not having you and your talents , xxdk
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Is there not anything you could do from home?
Not that will pay anywhere near what I was on before, which is the only way I can pay my bills/mortgage/debts. I am a qualified accountant for 20 years so my outgoings etc are geared to that salary level; although I can afford to take a fair drop, it still has to be a reasonable amount.
I could sell door to door - not my thing, plus the doors here are around a quarter of a mile apart..... I did apply for a government job doing surveys in people's homes, where they had agreed to do it, but I have still heard nothing. You are only paid per interview done, too.
Of course I can write..... but as it takes a year to get a book established it's for the long term/extras as there is no way of knowing how well it will go..... I thought the Christmas buyers would have started on the current one but it's dead at the moment.
I wouldn't get planning permission for kennels plus I need capital to build a block so that's out.
I can't have lodgers as the upstairs of the house is bare plasterboard, chipboard floors and no furniture, again no money to finish.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 12:06 PM
You can't do accounting as self employed then? May take a bit to get started but is that not something you can do?
Becky
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
I would mind less if Irish companies were staffed with efficient, competent people but the ones I have dealt with suggest not. It seems that is not wanted.

You might find you'd have better luck if you eased up on that attitude.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
I am a qualified accountant for 20 years
Gill, sorry if this a bit blunt but wouldn't a small (one person) accountancy / bookeeping business be right down your street. You could work from home, you set your hourly rate to attract business, and I thought that UK qualifications were valid in RoI (I might be wrong about that last point)

Also, this type of busness is the only one where you're guaranteed to get paid 'cos you write the cheque and stick it under the clients nose for him to sign.

You know the scene, you wait until you know he's about to dash out, you prepare a small pile of cheques, yours at the bottom, he signs them, you pay yours in first, when it's cleared you post the others

Oh dear my machiavalian mind is rambling again

PS Just see Maholi & I have been thinking along the same lines

PPS And Helena too!!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 06:38 PM
You might find you'd have better luck if you eased up on that attitude
Oh really? Well I am here BY CHOICE and your attitude is not helpful either. I am speaking from experience, not attitude and I think it is disgusting that you should blame me for this mess I am in, do you think I am enjoying it?
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 07:11 PM
I hope something turns up for you real soon x
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2007, 07:47 PM
I know how frustrating it is. My outgoings are based on having two salaries, but my husband decided in March that he was leaving with little warning, and has left me with all our debts . My new OH has moved in to "help with the bills", but he's been out of work for six months as well now. It just seems impossible to find anything that will pay the bills. He hasn't even had an interview for any of the Christmas temp jobs he's applied for, even though the pay is rubbish (he's got a degree in computer engineering, so it's not like he's not qualified for all the IT jobs he's tried for).

I really hope something comes up for you soon. It's incredibly wearing when you're trying as hard as you can and keep being knocked back.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >