View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2007, 11:02 AM
I don't know about easiest, but it surely must be easier to walk at a sedate pace with a toy breed rather than run around the ring several times, puffing and panting like I used to have to do with my German Shepherd!

No wonder many of them use two handlers, you practically have to be an athlete lol
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2007, 11:09 AM
I don't know about the easiest, but most dogs are easy to show once they (and you!) have been taught how. It's just another thing a show dog has to learn and once you have it cracked (and as long as they enjoy it too) they are all pretty easy to get on with. JMHO.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

11-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Having had and shown both dacchies and Borzois over the years I am with Becky on this I think it depends on the individual dog rather than the breed. Some of them have been easier to show than others. Those that show easily and well on one occasion can play you up something terrible on another, no matter how much ring craft they have been to. I think it depends how they feel on the day.

I am sure Shona will come on here and say that Pellow is just so wonderful and easy to show, so perhaps the handler has somethig to do with how they behave too, or perhaps on the occasion she handled him he was havina good day. She handled him really well only having met him for as short time before going into the ring.

I personally do not think it is easier with a stacked dog than a free standing one. Sometimes you have them stacked perfectly and then just as the judge looks in their direction they move. Great fun this showing LOL
amandas-jacks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2007, 10:28 PM
my dogs can be ok to show but sometimes they can be pretty hard but then again there ok--jack russells
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-09-2007, 07:45 AM
I agree that it's an individual dog thing, not a breed thing. One of our dogs, Anya, will walk into a perfect stand and stay there till you ask her to do something else - she is really easy to show. Ute will show for Terry (my OH) but plays me up something rotten. Diesel, who we bred, will show well for me, but won't show at all for his loving owners....... and on and on.....

Mick
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

20-09-2007, 08:11 AM
Whippets seem to be naturally showey when walking, (or rather prancing).
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Agree, depends on training and dog, rather than breed. My gwp has been easy to train but I think that's because I had good instruction when I first went to ringcraft when she was a tiny pup.

Helen
wendy taylor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2007, 12:14 PM
arghhhhhhhhhhhh try showing a stubborn miserable mastiff,they put their heads down,and getting their heads back up is a struggle,then each leg you try to move to get that perfect stand,they lean into,therefore putting their full weight onto that leg making it nigh on impossible to move it,then they decide to make a break for freedom,and you end up flat on your face,or as you are trying to straighten up their back end they can go knock kneed,and stay like it,or they won't move,and do this sort of shuffle,i'm in a mood,walk,or they just lay down,roll over on their backs,and you may as well go home,or the eejuts decide that the judges glasses/hat/flappy coat,judges rosette/anything is obviously some sort of danger to them,and will not allow a judge near them,or they will fall in love with the judge,and not want to leave their sides,or try to have a very embaressing relationship with them,or they just want to pee on everything,or challenge the dog stood next to you in the ring,and when said dog barks yours tries to run the other way,at break neck speed,usually my neck you understand,or you can't get them on the benches,off the benches,from under the benches,oo where was that thread with someone wanting a dog to show,hahahahha
Wendy
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2007, 02:28 PM
I have not had any problems with the rotts, I free stand my lot, Its a doddle to train, I always feel strange when handling stacked dogs, the only one I felt ok about was lovezois big fella pellow, he never put a foot wrong, I often feel when stacking the dog can run out on you if you know what I mean, if your bent down trying to place back legs more so if its was a big breed like borzois or IWH both of which I have now shown,,lol, you end up doing this huge go go gaget arm thing trying not to pull the head round while you reach the back legs, at any point the dog can just toddle off there is nothing in front to stop it worse if its a mixed class,,,and the girl in front is just up your dogs street,,,lol,
again I agree some dogs are more showy than others, personality is a major part in it, the best dog in the world can go in the ring and fail to shine, if he hates it he wont look good, the worst dog can go in and if he is really happy your eye will go to him,
I hate the running,,, if I could change anything it would be the lap after lap with the sweat blinding you, I am so unluky, I end up in the class not with all the little portly women who seem to be the biggest % of rotty handlers,,, oh no I end up in the one class with all the huge men with a stride the length of the ring, you should see me trying to keep up, tis a nightmare, kaos looks just as good at a gentle pace as he does a fast one, I never understand some peoples need to belt round like a loony ,,, I guess some dogs will drop and pace or amble if they are not run at a fast pace, Kaos never ambles or paces, he has walk trot and flat out only three paces, some seem to have walk, dish trot, amble pace bounce canter the whole shaboogle
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2