Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2007, 10:32 AM

vegetables

This is might sound like quite a dumb question but is it ok to give you dog vegetables everyday?, i was just wondering because after harvey had diarrhoea i was just thinking about what he ate and he eats vegetables everyday whether its broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage,cucumber, raw carrotts and sometimes apples
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2007, 01:40 PM
I think the only veg I don't feed raw is potato. only feed that cooked, I personally don't feed parsnip but thats because a previous dog was sick after eating left over parsnip on two occasions, so I;ve never fed that since. Most of Dax's raw carrot passes straight through but as I am trying to keep his weight down this doesn't worry me but I have read they will digest it better if its cooked.
Ypu know not to feed onion don't you. Other than thatI think its fine if they will eat it.
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2007, 05:05 PM
I feed veg to mine, they love it. One gets more veg than the other two and her 'out goings' are a bit softer than theirs but still formed They all get chopped up fruit as well, mainly as a 'snack treat'
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2007, 06:13 PM
I think it is ok to feed vegetables regularly. On the Burns website the proportions for a homecooked diet are 1/3 veg, 1/3 brown rice and 1/3 meat and it doesn't say you can't give them vegetables every day.

Could it be that you are giving Harvey too large a portion of vegetable?

It could be that just one of the vegetables you are feeding him doesn't agree with him, in which case you could give him them singly to try and work out which the offending vegetable is.

It could be that the diarrohea is caused by something completely different, maybe Harvey ate something on a walk?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2007, 06:27 PM
I feed some fruit and veg daily. A mixture of raw and cooked. No problems here but all dogs are different.
-GreyhoundGirl-
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Jenny loves veggies. Raw veggies are great for their teeth, too. Jenny recommends some raw sweet potatoe chunks.
Iggielover
New Member!
Female 

14-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Our dogs love raw baby carrots. They also enjoy, small amount of broccoli, cauliflower, green beans and sweet potatoes. They also love bananas and melon, but only in small amounts as it gives the big D.
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 05:57 PM
He loves vegetables and its never affected him before but i have a feeling that a pouch of his beef and tripe natures menu was the diarrhoea culprit as the food was really soft and watery and looked different than usual wee white specks (not tripe) dunno what it was, the date was fine so gave him it as usual and then the same day had diarrhoea but now i thrown out a full box of beef and tripe out as they were all squishy what a wate of money. Now im wary of buying the beef because he's always loved it but worried it will be the same as the box i got.
doglover2323
New Member!
Male 

21-10-2007, 12:29 PM
I've heard that if a dog is eating grass it means they are lacking something in there diet. I was wondering what this is? Jake eats grass every once in awhile, nothing major though.... Thanks in advance!