Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 08:50 PM

Random wheeze / cough noises :-/

Am worried about the Jin, every now and again (like twice a day, that I know of, and the only time we're apart is work for 2 hrs max and sleeping) has a few wheezing breaths.... Its hard to describe but its startling.....almost like somethings tickled her inside and shes trying to dislodge it.

Theres no pattern to it..., its even happened while in the crate (in the car) and while lying next to me on the sofa.

Am making an app tomorrow but any ideas....?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 08:54 PM
How long has it been going on?

Could it be kennel cough?

Sounds like reverse sneezing to me.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Not long. Less than a week.

How would I know if it was kennel cough or reverse sneezing?

How is kennel cough caught, and how is it treated?

smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 09:18 PM
KC is caught by droplets from infected dogs.

Even if your dog has the KC vaccine it does not necessarily make them immune as Bordetella Bronchiseptica has many strains like our coughs and colds etc.

There is no treatment for KC unless there is secondary infection, it is only really a problem in the very young, very old or immuno compromised dogs.

Tell the vet you think it MAY be KC as you will not be very popular if you take in an infected dog into the surgery!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Hi there, don't these dogs like to produce something worrying on a regular basis

If it is what is known as reverse sneezing, then yes it can look and sound extremely alarming. If Jinty suddenly for no apparent reason takes a massive intake of breath with closed mouth (mouth is often sort of spread wide in the same way as just before they are sick, and the eyes bulge a bit) which sounds like the worse sniff that a man could ever produce times ten or so, and the neck goes stiff, then this is probably what it is. They can continue doing it for several minutes, and it sounds as if they are struggling to breath. It's horrible, but if you gently massage the throat it can help and it usually stops as suddenly as it started. There are various theories about why it happens, and some people have success in stopping it with different methods, some of which I would not be happy to try. It can sometimes happen if a dog pulls on the lead for any length of time.

If it is kennel cough, then it is more likely to be an actual cough, not a sniff, accompanied by some retching and bringing up white froth.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 09:25 PM
Ok, its sounding alot like reverse sneezing.....her mouth IS closed when she does it.

Is it a bad thing then.....?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 09:26 PM
No, just an idiosyncrasy, like people who whistle when they breathe.......
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
Ok, its sounding alot like reverse sneezing.....her mouth IS closed when she does it.

Is it a bad thing then.....?
No........if that's what it is, then try not to worry. It does sound horrible though doesn't it
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Right, have checked out some videos on youtube of KC, reverse sneezing and collapsed tracheas......

Deffo going with the reverse sneezing, though Jin only does it for like 3 breaths.

I'll still mention it at the vets as she is due her 6 month check anyway... I waiting til her season has finished to take her.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=TeflonsShadow;2366481]Right, have checked out some videos on youtube of KC, reverse sneezing and collapsed tracheas......

Deffo going with the reverse sneezing, though Jin only does it for like 3 breaths.

I'll still mention it at the vets as she is due her 6 month check anyway...

Awwww, spoil sport.........you could make a vet visit a whole lot more exciting for the male doggies in the waiting room
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >