Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2009, 04:14 PM

DAP collar.....so happy it worked!!

My male greyhound Wizard is petrified of fireworks and as a last resort on bonfire night we used a sedative from the vets, it was a horrible experience for him and for us so for new year i decided to try a DAP collar.

I followed the instructions to the letter and he began wearing it 2 weeks before new years eve. i may have been imagining it but he seemed to gradually get more chilled over the two weeks. (he can cry and whinge quite a lot) this seemed to lessen.

There weren't a whole lot of fireworks but even so just one would normally send wizard into panting, drooling, shaking mode. He stayed calm and lying down and just pricked his ears up a couple of times but none of his usual behaviour, i was so proud of him and so pleased that we appear to have found a solution at last.

So basically i would recommend to give the DAP collar a try if you have a dog that suffers from anxiety from such things.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2009, 05:03 PM
So pleased it worked for you, and for Wizard
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Glad to hear of your success. Fear of fireworks can make life miserable every November and New Year.
I wonder what else people have used these collars for. Would it help to relax a dog around traffic?
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Awww glad it worked for wizard. Paris doesnt like fireworks. She doesnt cower or cry or drool or anything she just flat out refuses to go out for a wee or walk if she's heard one. Might give that a try for bonfire night, are they very expensive?
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Glad it worked for you .......
Did you buy it online or did you have to get it at the vets ?
I might try one for my little stressed out whippet
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
So pleased it worked for you, and for Wizard
Thanks, i was suprised it worked so effectively

Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
Glad to hear of your success. Fear of fireworks can make life miserable every November and New Year.
I wonder what else people have used these collars for. Would it help to relax a dog around traffic?
They can be used for any kind of stressful situations, the good thing about the collar rather than the plug-in diffuser is that its with the dog 24/7

Originally Posted by grommit View Post
Awww glad it worked for wizard. Paris doesnt like fireworks. She doesnt cower or cry or drool or anything she just flat out refuses to go out for a wee or walk if she's heard one. Might give that a try for bonfire night, are they very expensive?
I got mine online and it was approx £15 but to me worth every penny and it cost me just as much money but less stress than a trip to the vets for the sedative i used in November. I am happy to buy 2 for the times i need then in the year....luckily only one of my dogs is scared otherwise it would cost a bomb!!!

Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
Glad it worked for you .......
Did you buy it online or did you have to get it at the vets ?
I might try one for my little stressed out whippet
You can get them at the vets but very expensive i got mine online much cheaper. I think Viovet but can't be 100% without checking. What a great idea ref your whippet girl. Worth a try, you can buy plug in diffusers also but i rate the collar because its with the dog all the time and you have to move the plug-ins around to keep close enough to the dog to be effective. They are supposed to release a smell that is like that of the mother at birth and reminds them of that and chills them out.....my guess would be your girl might find this comforting. *****just checked it was from here
http://www.petmeds.co.uk/c-363-dap.a...FQkrlAodQ2sbDg
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-01-2009, 10:20 AM
I use lavender oil on the collar of one of my dogs who is still a nervous wreck even after having her two years. Just put three drops (diluted with sweet almond oil), let the collar dry and she is ok. I put this on a weekly basis, as it also makes her smell nice too. Costs next to nothing and it works with her.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2009, 10:58 AM
So glad it was a success.

I may try that for Looby as she is petrified of fireworks.
The other two arent bothered at all!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Ám so very pleased for you!

I also use a DAP (but I use the plug in) and find it very very effective for my dog during fireworks nights.

Wys
x
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2009, 12:08 PM
I might look into this next november

I tried lavinder on a skin condition Ben had and he did zonk out all night
and when we 1st had Mia over bonfire night because of her many other issues we had her on rescue remidy for about a month and that really seemed to help with the fireworks

didnt realise how bad she was till new years she refused to come out of her crate all night and then the next night she wouldnt walk in the dark
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >