Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JeffJabben
New Member!
Male 

06-12-2017, 05:45 PM

Help Identify - Dogo Argentino?

I'm needing help from other dog owners to identify my dog's breed. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG955787.jpg
Views:	1637
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	5808

By the looks of it he is either an American bulldog or mix of that, or an Argentino dogo (mastiff). He is currently 10 months old weighing in at about 60 pounds. He is actually underweight as I just rescued him from a rescue shelter, which he was only being fed the bare minimum as the place was overfull, in fact he was on the put down list and probably had a couple days to a week left. Id guess 8-12 pounds underweight. And his tail is just dirty, normally solid white. He looks like a dogo aside from the black spot on the base of his tail. However, I've seen dogos with one before at the base of the tail just not that big of a spot. I know there is some rule out there that for a dogo that no black spots are allowed, don't really know the authenticity of that rule or even why it applies as the breed is made up of 10 different breeds, one being the pointer which could be an explanation for the spot. I'm not an expert but my guess is if you have a dog made up of 10 breeds sooner or later one is going to stick out more than the other. Other dog experts claim spots are possible due to bad breeding or even just a fluke with good breeds. The other possibility is that he is an American bulldog, if you research both of them and find a white bulldog his size it looks like they're good cousins. However, my dog has a square dental structure which is what the dogos have, I'm not sure if the AB does as well. AB seems more likely but just cant seem to find any that looks like him, unless there's a mix I'm missing. I'm open to any possibilities and suggestions, thanks for the help.

Other info - the Dogo is made up of: Now extinct Cordoba, Great Dane, Boxer, Spanish Mastiff, Old English Bulldog, Bull Terrier, Great Pyrenees, Pointer, Irish Wolfhound and Dogue de Bordeaux.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2017, 07:20 PM
I'd have to say American Bulldog. He just has the look.
JeffJabben
New Member!
Male 

06-12-2017, 07:24 PM
Do you think he is full breed AB or a mix of some kind?
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2017, 02:51 PM
Doesn't look like a Dogo Argentino.

He looks like he could be an American Bulldog mix.

He also looks like a lot like a Pit Bull, jayvee mixed, possibly pure bred. More so like a Pit than an Am Bulldog anyway.

Do you have more pics? Like of him standing that could show his structure?

If he's under weight it's hard to tell in pics.
JeffJabben
New Member!
Male 

13-12-2017, 07:23 PM
Yes, and he may not be underweight.
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	9e64a75.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	5824  
JeffJabben
New Member!
Male 

13-12-2017, 07:47 PM
I have also tried searching for him. Ab boxer mix. Boxer Pit mix. Etc. Cannot find him, find ones close to him but not close enough. When you say pit do you mean American pitbull terrier or the 5 classes considered pit? Such as Staffordshire.

He is also 22 inches tall at the shoulders. Can pure Pits get this big at 10 months? Thanks
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2017, 08:17 PM
I could search all day long and not find a Pit that looks like mine, they are not going to look exactly alike. He could easily be a Pit Bull x American Bulldog mix. Some people do this type of cross intentionally. I don't really see Boxer features.
Yes a Pit can be 22" and 60lbs
I don't know about these "5 classes", but yes Pit Bull = APBT. While you can see white marks in AmStaff, a lot of white is discouraged so you're generally not going to see one nearly solid white. However, it's very common for Am Bulldog and allowed in Pits.
Hope that helps. You could do an Embark DNA test if you're really curious.
JeffJabben
New Member!
Male 

13-12-2017, 08:52 PM
It does. Thank you for your help
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2017, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by JeffJabben View Post
It does. Thank you for your help
Glad I could help. He's a pretty dog. Here is a pic of my white Pit.
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kodiak1stwp.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	5825  
JeffJabben
New Member!
Male 

14-12-2017, 01:38 AM
Really neat dog. They look similar. Is that white pit a pure breed?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >