Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ReiHino
New Member!
Female 

24-10-2017, 04:56 PM

Keeping a Friendly Dog from Lunging at People in the City

I have a very people oriented 18 week old Cavalier. He loves people, and frankly people love him. We're attempting to teach him leash manners, and he does great in the house, but on the street he completely forgets everything. The main problem is that people keep reinforcing his bad behavior (cooing at him, reaching out to pet him, encouraging him to come to them while I am clearly trying to get him to sit, etc). Last night a woman actually ran out of her apartment building to come pet him. Even after I told her to leave him alone she stood there waving at him. We live in Manhattan, so it's not like there are a lot of quiet streets (any really, unless I want to walk the dog at 4AM).

How can I train him to heel and to not lunge toward strangers in an environment where he keeps getting rewarded for doing exactly that?