View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Well clearly you don't meet the people I do, the vast majority of dogs do get free running in country parks, woodland and fields. Of course they need to be trained to walk on lead too, I live in London and the law requires dogs to be on lead while waking on pavements etc. So your idea of 99% of dogs not being off lead is total tosh.
I've never met anyone who resents my dogs being under control while off lead, they may ask for advice but they don't resent it.
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2016, 04:49 PM
I have people resent my dogs all the time, and these are dog owners who are jealous. Give you a situation, I went to the off leash park one day, my pup and the older dog run up to the park gate. Then the older dog runs to behind the off leash area where she knows there are rabbits. Two women see this as I walk up with the pup and I can tell that they are upset that a loose dog is about to be eaten alive by the wild rabbits. So I give two blast of my whistle and she comes back at 35 miles per hour. I go in with them and a woman who has her mouth hanging open approaches me and ask, did your dog just come back to a whistle???? Well she saw and heard the entire thing, but still can't believe what she heard and saw. So she ask me how do I train that, and I explained that you can not put the dog on a leash until it is allowed to run and be recalled off leash, because all leashes teach is how a dog should be dumb and led around by a human. I was polite, she leashed her golden retriever and left. I won't start on the guy with the two dobies that can never be let off leash for fear of the public, but he really hates my dogs freedom.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

17-05-2016, 05:33 PM
Really well my 3 Dobies were hardly ever on lead and were 100% reliable around all people and all dogs, never had anyone panic around them.
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2016, 06:01 PM
I am not putting down dobies I actually like them. However if a dobie is running free in a park setting, the risk of a parent jumping on their child to protect them from being bitten always exist. Does not matter if the loose Doberman cares for the house kittens when at home, the predisposition not of the dog but of peoples reactions to the dog prohibit many from being unleashed. The guy I spoke about was actually mad that I allowed my dogs to run to the gate of the dog park unleashed, this bothered him only because he can not do this, and when he sees other dogs behaving so well off leash, he understands that his dogs are not as smart and well behaved as he wants to believe. That said these two dogs used to jump in little circles when happy, really not great reps of the breed.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

17-05-2016, 06:39 PM
We don't have dog parks we walk in country parks or forests easy enough to avoid other people when we want to. The dogs can charge about in the undergrowth as they please. Never had a problem tbh
Norma808
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Eaten alive by wild rabbits

Bye heck must be breeding blooming big rabbits in the usa these days
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2016, 09:08 PM
No they are not that big, but the point was that these two women were about to call park rangers or the police because this dog was doing exactly what she was designed to do, which is find game. There are also groundhogs, raccoons, foxes and whitetail deer. https://www.flickr.com/photos/136279.../in/datetaken/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/136279.../in/datetaken/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/136279...7659844998024/ I got a photo of one of the rabbits too, but it's not very exciting.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

17-05-2016, 09:36 PM
Yeah but you're preaching to a predominantly uk forum, We tend to interact with our dogs differently on this side of the pond.
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2016, 09:43 PM
Perhaps, but my dogs came from your side of the pond, remember? From what I have read about the UK there is no longer any game to hunt. Fox hunts had to be held with planted captive bred foxes, until the sport was outlawed completely. It was not outlawed so much because it was cruel, but because everything hunted was more or less wiped out. The USA is the best place to own a hunting dog because we still have game, even too much game as in the case of wild hogs. Also this post was started by some person from Tennessee who believes that a 2.5 year old dog is a puppy needing weewee pads, something that baffles me coming from a supposed law student.
Norma808
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-05-2016, 09:50 PM
Are you having a laugh NO GAME IN THE UK if that was the case WHY would there be so many overseas visitors desperate to come to the UK
If there was no game how could we possibly own or work our gundogs !!!!!!!
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >