Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LauMeur
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2014, 03:18 PM

Adopting or buying?

Hello

I'm all up for adoptions, even more when the doggies in question are rescue ones. However, I have seen my fair share (sadly) of people abandoning or mistreating their pets. I have seen that this happens more often when they adopted the pet instead of buying it. I don't know if there is a direct link between one thing and the other, but there are many people out there that see puppies in adoption like free pretty toys that they can dump at any time they get too big and start digging in their yards. I believe this happens even more often when the doggy is from a recognized breed and not a mix because many people out there want to flash the dogs more than to actually have a friend to care for.

My SO gave up two puppies to people a few months ago, from which one was sold and one given in adoption. The one that was bought is doing well, the owner posts pictures of him very often and he looks pretty healthy and happy; the one that was given in adoption... well, the "owner" just called my SO to give it back precisely because it was too big already and digging on the mother's yard.

This has me wondering: Is it better to sell breed dogs instead of giving them in adoption?

Will a person who is not willing to make a payment to get a dog be able to afford/want to pay for the dog's needs in the long run?

What do you guys think?
AThirdChance
New Member!
Female 

21-07-2014, 04:31 PM
I think it all depends on the person. Adopting a rescue dog is a big responsibility. Often they come with a lot of "baggage" and you have to be responsible with dealing with that. Preparing yourself and studying will show you what it's like and what it requires. Most adopted dogs need behavior modification. Adoption is not one of those things you should jump into.
LauMeur
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2014, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by AThirdChance View Post
I think it all depends on the person. Adopting a rescue dog is a big responsibility. Often they come with a lot of "baggage" and you have to be responsible with dealing with that. Preparing yourself and studying will show you what it's like and what it requires. Most adopted dogs need behavior modification. Adoption is not one of those things you should jump into.
Ideally, but most people I've seen to take it very lightly precisely because it's free and a lot of shelters, or individuals in this case, just have to rely on the adopters good will.

And I think the problem accentuates when the dog in question has a recognized breed (or I don't really know how to call them) because, very sadly, there are lots of people out there that see them as a pricy possession that they can have for free... that is until they get bored of it. I would, as you say, think it through before adopting a dog, but I think most people don't and think that since the adoption was without charge, so will the caring of the dog be.
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2014, 08:30 PM
I know in Canada, you pay for any dog you adopt from the shelters. They are always spayed and neutered before leaving the shelter and there is a questionnaire the adopter has to fill out and usually a home inspection before you can adopt.

I have adopted out dogs that I have taken in and always charge something for them as I do not believe in just "giving dogs away" or like has been said, they have no investment and "easy come, easy go" if they have any problems.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2014, 11:02 PM
I think this is a big problem in parts of the US. In theory a prospective owner is paying an adoption fee to help cover the cost of the animals care, kind of an enforced donation to the shelter or rescue.
However there are also probably many low income households who might very well have a stable living situation and food on the table every night. But even a $50 dollar fee isn't in the monthly budget.
I think there should be some kind of outreach in urban areas. Find homes for free for homeless pets and offer budget vet care services. It would be an opportunity for some families to own a pet and allow for more adoptions rather than the hundreds euthanized every month.
Telling someone they can't have that cat because they don't have the $150 adoption fee, better it be euthanized, is unethical.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2014, 06:23 AM
Originally Posted by Kyllobernese View Post
I know in Canada, you pay for any dog you adopt from the shelters. They are always spayed and neutered before leaving the shelter and there is a questionnaire the adopter has to fill out and usually a home inspection before you can adopt.

I have adopted out dogs that I have taken in and always charge something for them as I do not believe in just "giving dogs away" or like has been said, they have no investment and "easy come, easy go" if they have any problems.
I have family in BC working in animal rescue and the system there is impressive. They do after checks also.

I don't think that getting a dog free means it is not treasured. Too many generalisations in this thread for me.
My two dogs were "free" with no one caring about them, and no one to ask etc. They do pretty well... ( both settled with huge beef bones as I type)

Bad owners are bad owners; my collie was bought by the owners who abused her...who went on to abuse another bought dog.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2014, 07:21 AM
Well, I adopt dogs. They are not free. Adoptions fees are $150 and $200. I can say this... even if I wanted a hoity toity expensive dog, I could save up for as long as needed and buy it. If you can't afford a $50 adoption fee, then frankly... you can't afford a dog. You can't even come close to affording a dog, actually.

Vet bills that may come out of no where, food and general expenses such as flea medication, heart worm etc. also wouldn't be in that monthly budget and you'd be better off without a pet in most cases.

I don't have a lot of money, but my dogs don't suffer because of it. They go to the vet when they need to, and they always have food, flea preventative, and everything else they need. Now, now... that being said, let me make another point.

I think that animals on death row deserve a chance at a home, even if the owners are strapped for cash. Many animals live long healthy lives in the homes of low income families. True animal lovers will cut corners and I think letting them try and provide for a very needy animal that nobody wants is better than putting the animals down. Giving them a Saint Bernard is probably stupid, but let them take home a cat or small dog. I mean seriously.

I don't think money is the reason for the majority of abused and neglected animals. I think it's more people who don't care enough, people who don't know enough, and people with regrets.

Pets are not for everyone, and this is coming from a person who grew up with so many dogs that my parents really did not care about at all. Getting a dog, chaining it outside and throwing it food twice a day is not dog ownership. Has nothing to do with finances.

People who starve their dog didn't do it because they couldn't afford to feed it... they did it because they're horrible people. Anybody who loved the dog but couldn't afford to feed it would have turned it into the shelter, not starve it and it would likely get another chance at an owner.

Same with sick and injured dogs, these dogs are not like this solely because their owners can't afford medical care for them... it's because they don't care enough. Bring the dog to a shelter if you love him, don't just let him suffer.

Ten thousand excuses by one thousand lips can be made by people who don't treat their dogs right, but rarely is "I can't afford it" a true excuse for a poorly cared for, abandoned, abused, or neglected dog.
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-07-2014, 08:49 AM
As others have mentioned, lots of rescue places charge an "adoption fee". I don't actually know of any places where you would get a pet "free".

As for the money aspect, I'm not sure that it's simply down to paying versus not paying. In an ideal world it would be better for pet and potential owner to have a trial period. That way the amount of work and further costs involved might come to some as a surprise and make them realise that it isn't going to work.
This would however, create more work and make it even more difficult to find homes for pets that so badly need them.