Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 09:15 PM

Puppy chewing

hey, i was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to teach a puppy what not to chew? jake keeps chewing the cables for my laptop, when he does this i get a toy he can chew and give it to him but he loses interest really fast and goes back to chewing the cable. i know he will never know everything he can and cannot chew but it worries me when he chews certain things like the cables. i now just move him off my bed when he chews them but i always feel guilty coz he gives me the sad eyes will it help if i teach him "leave it"? he's 11 weeks, will he be too young to leave it? he chews other things i dont want him to aswell, but just now its only the cable one that is dangerous, so while i want to stop it all, the cable is the most important.

lauren
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 09:18 PM
He's not too young to learn leave it and distracting him with a toy or something else is a good idea.. You could also get one of the puppy off sprays.. I got one for Kismet really worked. It tastes yukky. Just spray it on the things you don't want them to chew. Saved my bedside table and the coffee table
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 09:23 PM
ooo the spray sounds like a good idea, thanks can you get that in pets at home? i have been trying to teach him leave it so will work some more on that lol

lauren
louise674
New Member!
Female 

15-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Puppies chewing is totally natural. They are just like teething babies. Bitter lemon spray can be great but doesn’t work for all dogs – some actually like the taste!
The best thing to do to stop nipping and mouthing is to let out a puppy like yelp, this immediately makes the puppy back away as it is what her litter mates would do. Its a way to let her know that hurts. She won't understand all the no's and putting her in another room etc. When she nips, you yelp then turn your back on her (get visitors to do the same) she will soon get the message of 'ouch that hurts and i am not playing because of it'

I have just written a new article about this very subject and its really quick and easy You should also teach your puppy the ‘leave it’ command this is not only for objects but also helps them control their bite inhibition (become more aware of how people like to be interacted with). This will show you how (its really easy) ]

Puppies also bite and mouth because they are teething and is heavily linked to chewing. So relieve the pain a bit with these quick fixes and you should see an improvement

[Please read our posting guidlines/no advertising or link drops]