Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 08:40 AM

Tone of voice

Sorry if I am being dumb and everyone knows this - Im new!!

I was just observing and wondering why dogs behaive differently to different people
My boyfriend is not a majorly doggy person but dogs seem to try really hard to get attention from him, if he tells them to do something they obay right away - but after a couple of things they just shut down or wonder away

woman in our streets dogs totaly adore her but dont listen to a word she says - but totaly obedient to the husband

Ben really good lots of times but can turn a deff ear

then I noticed (I know there are other things going on here)

My boyfriend just uses one tone of voice all the time with dogs, he has a fairly deep voice
'down' 'sit' 'good boy' all in the same flat tone, the dogs initaly respond well to the deep tone and are desperate to please him - but when the 'good boy' is a deep sound too it still sounds like he is not happy with them and they give up

Woman in street always uses baby voices on her dogs
'you was a bad doggie to bark and growl at that child - yous mustnt be a naughty doggie)

I noticed that when Ben is best behaived it is the times when i am changing my tone of voice
biiig stinky poo on the floor - he is heading towards it
deep growly 'leave it' from me - then as soon as the nose turns away soft happy 'goood boy!!'

I am trying to get him to sit at kirbs at the moment but sometimes he just stands there
today I tried a much deeper 'sit!' and right away bum hit floor - followed by a soft 'Goood boy'

- note - i am just using a deep tone of voice - not angry our loud

like I said - sorry if everyone knows this and I am being totaly dumb - new to dogs and just finding things out
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Its one of those things that is obvious once you know it, but well worth raising for those that don't - it does make a huge difference.

Well done to you for working it out yourself and for highlighting it for the benefit of those that don't already know
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 11:00 AM
I use different tones here..works wonders.

If they are good then obviously it is a soft 'good dog' or if I am being cuddled by one or sometimes ALL, then it's a soft almost singing voice of 'Mommmmmmies girl' Mommmmmmie boy etc.,
But when things need to be realised that 'OK we're onto serious business now' the my 'school teacher' voice appears. It's one word commands and no nonsense commands.

Pat took time to get this and used one type of tone constantly....that was why Bruce used to walk away from him during training....but 'by jove' he's got it now.(Pat I mean)

ps............well done
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Tone of voice definately works well with our dogs.

When saying 'leave it' I use a deep tone (almost with a little growl in there, or if I'm telling them to be quiet I use a deep tone and short sharp words (usually 'shut it').

Then when they have done what I asked them to do I say 'Good dogs!' in a high tone and they know they have done good and their tails wag

My staffy only responds to a deep, serious tone. She's quite thick skinned so I have to really tell her when I want her to do something. Not shouting at her, but if I tell her like I don't mean it she just pays no notice at all.

I've had to encourage my OH a lot to use a high tone when telling htem 'Godd dogs'. It's difficult for him as he as a really really low voice.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 11:35 AM
I love watching blokes squirm with embarrassment as they learn to use the high-pitched voice that dogs love - there was a macho cop on Send in the dogs who felt compelled to explain that he was only using his `girly` voice as the dog had to know when it had been a Good Boy. Body language makes a difference as well. Dogs also react with suspicion to `differences` - anything not quite `normal` - like a hat or slight limp.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I love watching blokes squirm with embarrassment as they learn to use the high-pitched voice that dogs love - there was a macho cop on Send in the dogs who felt compelled to explain that he was only using his `girly` voice as the dog had to know when it had been a Good Boy.
I`ve had to literally teach `girly voice` praising to all but one of the blokes who train at my club, the only one I did`nt have to teach had already learned it and he is a real boon as it`s easier on new blokes to learn it from another bloke, they feel less embarrassed that way when it`s their turn to do it

With my deaf crew I still praise verbally/audibly as well as visually, as it makes everything far more natural for them, [ because the movements match my tone if you see what I mean ], otherwise it can look like exaggerated `mime` to them which might as well be a different language altogether