Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
It is so sad, when you are doing so well with him and you would like to show to the world how great he is doing only to have it spoiled by some ignoramus
Hi I agree,but at the same time the other people she is dropping her poison probably think silly old bat and try to avoid,people like that most sensible people take what she says with a pinch of salt.So dont let it undermine all the great work you have been doing Gemini54
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-07-2013, 04:49 PM
That is so shocking that people were throwing things at your dog - that would really upset me. Toxic is a really good description of what this woman is like. I just have to keep demonstrating just how good he is now and how under I control I have him - so when she spreads her malice people will see her for what she is.

At the end of the day my boy doesn't realise what's being said about him - he would just shrug is shoulders and continue snuffling a hedge, if truth be known he's probably quite happy she creeps around the edge of the field as it means he has a lot more space to play with his boomer ball.

Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi I think this calls for a quite word in her shell like,when I had my AFGHAN it seemed to upset the local villagers,anything Afghan because of the war,he was an Afghan,so they started throwing things at him,until I went to the Parish Council,it just stopped,but people like her are toxic and if anything or anyone is toxic you avoid them like the plague.What I would do is leave her a note on her windscreen shaming her and then avoid her.She should get the message.Gemini54
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Yes exactly - a few people have walked by and commented on what great work I do with him, so I just have to focus on them and ignore this stupid woman.

Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
It is so sad, when you are doing so well with him and you would like to show to the world how great he is doing only to have it spoiled by some ignoramus
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Hole you don't mind me adding today's rant on to your one about people! I've just come back fri the new forest whee we went on a walk. There is an enclosure I've found with anti dear fencing all the way round so I feel it's a good place to walk Tonks. Well, today she chased after a rabbit and got through a whole in the fence. Grrrrr. She stopped when I called her but couldn't find her way back through so ran up along the fence to a gate, ducked under the gate and then had the bare faced cheek to run passed some ladies who had appeared with their dogs on lead! And when I said run past....with about 25 feet in between her and their dogs...sticking close to the fence....didn't even look at the dogs....and they didn't show any sings of being bothered by her. I put her and Remus on lead then as we would now be going towards the ladies. I put Remus on the outside furthers away from the dogs as he is the one who will jump up and down and try to touch the dogs with his great big goofy feet. Then the pram and then Tonks....and we over a bit so that Remus says on the side nearest the fence and the ladies had lost on Tonks' side. They were already approaching on that side...but then made a bee line to Remus side...actually they were moving away from Tonks giving her the evil eye....and walked right up to us....so then had to move two dogs, pram and preschooler over to the other side of the path, with Remus deciding that those people had obviously come right up to him to say hello! They passed looking at me as if I was the most irresponsible dog own in the world......I said ' I put her on your side because this is the one who will leap up and down not her!' They just nodded and starred and awkwardly past with treats right on their dogs noses who, quite rightly were taking offence to Remus!

Why when you try to make things easier for people do they presume you don't know what your doing......all because Tonks dared to run past them! It's the new forest!! Dogs are allowed to be off lead!!

I realise now they wouldn't have known which was the bitch or the dog so I should have said ' I put my Staffie on your side because she is very steady and would ignore your dogs....just like she did up there!'
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 11:28 AM
My advice would be to absolutely NOT let it go. You cannot - in this day and age of anti dog, and especially anti staffies - allow a malicious cow like this woman to spread slanderous rumours about your beautiful dog. If you do hold your head high and ignore her, and something unfortunate subsequently happened - an accident such as a cat coming into your garden and your dog attacked it for instance, something completely out of your control, a complete accident - then the fact that you have not publically defended your dog and had a go at this horrible woman and told her that if she continues to spread malicious and slanderous lies about your staffie, you will consider legal action etc. etc., will make you "guilty" in the eyes of the law. By remaining silent, such silence could condemn your dog if - as I say - something very unfortunate happened beyond anyone's control.

My advice to anybody is never, never, never allow a seemingly unimportant bit of malicious gossip go unchecked and uncorrected - it can come back at a later date and bite you on the bottom.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I've said it before and will do many times again I think...you have to grow a thick skin and ignore those negative folk, if you don't you will get paranoid and start to think everyone you see out on your dog walks are whispering about you and your nasty dog.

You have a couple of things going against you even befor you open your mouth or your dog sees another.....you own a staffie cross, this alone is going to get you bad mouthed by plenty of dog walkers, regardless of deserved or not.

The other is the fact your dog has been labeled aggressive due to some of his behaviour.

I think something I have learnt from many yrs of owning a dog with issues, is that everyone sees you are thr devil incarnate, and they all have wonderfully behaved dogs, in truth there are plenty f dogs that don't like other dogs, but when they are fluffy and cute, the owners and other people don't see it.

But the person with the staffie is ALWAYS going to get the bad press.

I would simply ignore her or anyone else you think is talking behind your back, carry on doing what you are doing with your boy, and don't give anyone any ammunition to fire at you.
I agree with this. Having owned GSDs and experienced some of the same - I think it sort of 'goes with the territory' when you own a dog that is of a breed that 'has a reputation' or that a lot of people are SCARED of and you should not be surprised by it.

People do 'stereotype' and not just for dogs. And, to some extent, you are guilty of doing that yourself by describing this woman's dogs as her 'two fluffy little numbers'? It does (IMHO) reveal a bit about what you think of that type of dog and even people who own that 'type' of dog!

At least the object of her musings (your dog) is not going to be offended by anything she says!

On the subject of 'what people say'. I've owned big dogs and now own a very small dog. I'd like some money for every time I've been told by a 'big dog owner' that their dog is not vicious but 'doesn't like small dogs'. Well, to me, that just says they cannot be sure it won't attack my dog but are preparing their defence ready - my dog's fault for BEING SMALL!
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2013, 05:25 PM
How completely infuriating! They made a completely stupid snap judgement about Tonks based on his breed. It drives me around the bend, it happens to me all the time. Sadly we just have to suck it up but I always mutter some expletives under my breath!

Yesterday though a very odd thing happened - a woman who lives along the road from me who has a 2 year old little girl actually came up to me and asked if her little girl could touch my dog - I almost fell flat on my face!! This woman had been one of the gossipers in the early days, she'd always scooped up her little girl when I was around. I said my dog is fine but he's not used to children and might if anything be over friendly, she touched him very gently and bless Bax's heart he wagged his tail and went to lick her face.

Just no telling half the time.

Sandy

Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Hole you don't mind me adding today's rant on to your one about people! I've just come back fri the new forest whee we went on a walk. There is an enclosure I've found with anti dear fencing all the way round so I feel it's a good place to walk Tonks. Well, today she chased after a rabbit and got through a whole in the fence. Grrrrr. She stopped when I called her but couldn't find her way back through so ran up along the fence to a gate, ducked under the gate and then had the bare faced cheek to run passed some ladies who had appeared with their dogs on lead! And when I said run past....with about 25 feet in between her and their dogs...sticking close to the fence....didn't even look at the dogs....and they didn't show any sings of being bothered by her. I put her and Remus on lead then as we would now be going towards the ladies. I put Remus on the outside furthers away from the dogs as he is the one who will jump up and down and try to touch the dogs with his great big goofy feet. Then the pram and then Tonks....and we over a bit so that Remus says on the side nearest the fence and the ladies had lost on Tonks' side. They were already approaching on that side...but then made a bee line to Remus side...actually they were moving away from Tonks giving her the evil eye....and walked right up to us....so then had to move two dogs, pram and preschooler over to the other side of the path, with Remus deciding that those people had obviously come right up to him to say hello! They passed looking at me as if I was the most irresponsible dog own in the world......I said ' I put her on your side because this is the one who will leap up and down not her!' They just nodded and starred and awkwardly past with treats right on their dogs noses who, quite rightly were taking offence to Remus!

Why when you try to make things easier for people do they presume you don't know what your doing......all because Tonks dared to run past them! It's the new forest!! Dogs are allowed to be off lead!!

I realise now they wouldn't have known which was the bitch or the dog so I should have said ' I put my Staffie on your side because she is very steady and would ignore your dogs....just like she did up there!'
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
How completely infuriating! They made a completely stupid snap judgement about Tonks based on his breed. It drives me around the bend, it happens to me all the time. Sadly we just have to suck it up but I always mutter some expletives under my breath!

Yesterday though a very odd thing happened - a woman who lives along the road from me who has a 2 year old little girl actually came up to me and asked if her little girl could touch my dog - I almost fell flat on my face!! This woman had been one of the gossipers in the early days, she'd always scooped up her little girl when I was around. I said my dog is fine but he's not used to children and might if anything be over friendly, she touched him very gently and bless Bax's heart he wagged his tail and went to lick her face.

Just no telling half the time.

Sandy
Nice to hear you had a good experience!

I know people say that we should expect it because of our chosen breeds reputation...but the thing that gets me is that people show their complete ignorance of dog body language...and these are dog owners! I understand if you don't knew dogs, and you've heard of Staffies from the news, but if you own dogs I would like to presume that you might have an ounce of an idea of what dogs mean by their body language. So you would think they might be able to work out that a dog being called, running out from some trees and straight passed your dogs with not even a glance towards your dogs is probably not one who is dead set on savaging you or your dogs!
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2013, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=catrinsparkles;2722202]

I know people say that we should expect it because of our chosen breeds reputation...

I disagree so much. Many Staffies are owned by people who have rehomed them - not chosen them for their alleged "aggression" . Staffies are hard to rehome because of this reputation and anyone who saves one deserves a medal - not moaning at.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=Megsy;2722225]
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post

I know people say that we should expect it because of our chosen breeds reputation...

I disagree so much. Many Staffies are owned by people who have rehomed them - not chosen them for their alleged "aggression" . Staffies are hard to rehome because of this reputation and anyone who saves one deserves a medal - not moaning at.
Yes but you must surely see that it is the 'reputation' that is the cause of so many of them being in shelters needing rehoming and being passed over? Together with so many 'unsuitable' owners wanting them in the first place.

My sis has a staffy. The most WONDERFUL dog. I am not one who is afraid of them but am realistic enough to know that you cannot discount their reputation when it comes to how people react to them or why they find it hard to rehome them. Not fair. But then life's not fair is it?

Munchy - the most well trained, well behaved, friendly and loving dog I know (including my own!)

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >