Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-02-2009, 09:04 AM

Stupid people and fairweather walkers. V.V long post

Wake up, grown thick with snow so decide to take the dogs for a nice long walk to the fields that skirt the edge of the woods.

We step out the front door to be met by a snarling HUGE bull breed type dragging its owner along. Judging by this I guessed its been brought out to enjoy the snow(though I could be wrong, but having never seen the dog before I dont know).

Next we cross the old golf course to the motorway bridge to cross over, when behind us I see to all black GSDs(didnt think they came in that colour) again both HUGE trying to run around. We cross the bridge and beging walking down the otherside to the fields. The path down is an s shape type were you can be on part and someone walking can be above you.

We are at the bottom of it when Jake bounds to the top, I cant see anyone at first but then see the same woman with the two GSDs, this is where I fume, about me and worse about her.

I shout Jake and he decide to be deaf, so not happy at all he used to have 0% recall but since older hes quite good now so not happy with him as he had just seen them running about and didnt run over and came when called and more so myself for being so lax as normally because of how he was I keep an eye out and call him back in plenty of time. So I tell the labs to wait, which they did(dont like them listening) to go and get Jake and apologize. When walking over the woman shouted hurry up and get him, what was I doing This is where it gets worse.

I shout I am just hold on, just hurry up, ones in season and ones just been mated
So, let me get this right, you have a bitch in season and one just mated and you think its a good idea to let them off the lead where its likely to be busy?(i was less polite than that) To which, yes they still need a run and I waited for you to go over the bridge.

Now I know im at fault, but am I right in thinking that is not the smartest thing you have ever heard. Back home now still fuming and thinking I should have listened to my neighbour who said his is being road walked an there will be allsorts out today.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Road walking might of been a better idea, but why should you have to stop enjoying the snow. My walk wasn't too bad, but we did meet our Neighbours mad lab, who is never normally off the lead and on the field and he would not go back took ages so in the end I walked to them and Ollie was happy to zoom around with him.
I then meet up with a nice woman I know with an ESS who Ollie loves but a bit too much today he is neutered but still interested with a bitch in season, and he would not leave her alone and when I asked if she was in season she said just coming out of season, so I am having to keep an 11 stone dog under control in the snow while a mad lab and an interesting female too Ollie leap around like a pair of loonies. Did kind of spoil my walk. We had some fun too though so made it worth while. Stupid woman with the GSD's why do they do it ?
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2009, 12:03 PM
I know the muppets will be out in force this afternoon, but I think s*d them! Bryan is really good off lead and will come to me when called or just carry on walking if I tell him to.

I know this might not be popular, but I think (especially with these walkers who only come out when it's nice weather or if it's snowed) it's not my problem if their dog has a problem.

Maybe that's selfish, but I walk 3 times a day in any weather. As far as I'm concerned the fields are mine.....MINE I TELLS YA
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2009, 12:09 PM
That is why I took mine to my favourite area where I rarely see anyone this morning. Didn't see a soul and had all the snow to ourselves.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2009, 03:00 PM
I suspect even a dog with perfect recall would have a hard time resisting two females in season. What a silly woman taking them out to run offlead! Surely if she wants to get them out she should be the one sticking to roadwork.

Letting them offlead was just asking for trouble imho; she's lucky that it was you she met with on the walk and not someone else with a more determined/less controlled dog on their hands.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Don't get me started on idiot owners, else I'll be here til christmas. What are the cances that the gsd that had been mated had, had all or any health tests done... very slim I'd say.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
I suspect even a dog with perfect recall would have a hard time resisting two females in season.
That's why it's a good idea to have a neutered dog

She's the exact type of person that causes unwanted litters.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Well she could of put male dogs in danger, if they smelt her dogs after they left and chased after the smell, espcially of she crosses any roads on the way home.

But today I went up for a walk, and let the dogs off, as they know that if there is someone behind them to ignore them we was a field infront of the people behind us, but I still hear them shout at me 'you shouldn't have your dogs off lead if I can't have mine off as its not fair on mine' I just pretended not to hear him, as my dogs were nowhere near his, and I never told him to keep his dogs on lead.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 01:18 PM
We didn't see anyone yesterday after all (apart from my friend and her Shar-Pei).

The snow must have been too scary for the fair weather muppets
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 01:22 PM
We are quite lucky here having the fields behind the house that no-one else walks in (the farmer is a good friend )

I am lucky that when Siren is in season I am still able to give her good runs. I would never dream of taking her out like that - just not fair. I know my entire dog will leave her alone but few would!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >