24-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Deleted trying to send privately
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
Deleted trying to send privately
Hi Hewey if you wish to start a topic on whether or not vegetarians drink milk or any other issue you are free to do so in the appropriate section which in this instance would be ''Off topic discussions'' http://www.dogsey.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163
Thank you
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Hewey if you wish to start a topic on whether or not vegetarians drink milk or any other issue you are free to do so in the appropriate section which in this instance would be ''Off topic discussions'' http://www.dogsey.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163
Thank you
That's OK I have no desire to discuss whether or not vegetarians drink milk I was only interested in the point, as I saw it, relating to the use of animals and whether different uses carried different ethics but if no one else can see the connection, fair enough
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
I think we're starting to broaden out on the original post here, the post was regards culling puppies, if we drag every animal into it, this thread is going to be very long.
As Megan pointed out - this thread is going to fork into lots of mini threads unless we stay on topic.

However, to address the point made earlier about calfs/food manufacture - two wrongs certainly do not make a right.

I, and I'm sure many others would much prefer to see better methods of food manufacture, and many people up and down the country/world campaign for this to be put right. So there you have it - people are against it just as they are against culling of puppies as being discussed in this thread.

With regards to people having to respect other peoples views, that's not entirely the case. We have to respect the fact that people are allowed their views, but not nescessirly the views themselves. There are a lot of schools of thought that I have completely zero respect for, but I do respect the fact that others can choose to follow them if they wish to - that's their right after all (so long as they're not against the law etc etc).

The other point was about GSD rescue pups - tbh it's not as clear cut. GSD rescues have unique 'problems' they need to consider. Badly bred pups could lead to overly aggressive dogs, sick dogs etc etc so it's something that rescue has to weigh up for themsleves. In an ideal world perhaps they would have the resources to not have to do it, but the situation is far removed from a breeder going ahead with a mating knowing full well that 10 out of the 12 puppies are going to be culled.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2006, 04:34 PM
This is a little unfair as I have been warned it is off topic and I risk having my post removed where I suspect you may not
I think you may be thinking along the lines of decent treatment of veal calves etc where my point was simply you cannot have a dairy industry without producing lots of calves which are surplus to requirements in terms of the meat market. Even if, as I suspect we all wish, they are treated humanely they are still going to be born and will die very soon after. That is the only connection I am making.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-11-2006, 04:50 PM
I appreciate the point you are making and know that it's sometimes necessary to draw a parallel to support your argument. I think Mini was just trying to keep us all on-topic

With regards to the calves, many of us support ethical farming practises, and even more of us would like to see 'better' methods wherever possible. If you are referring to 'die for food' then I can't see your point, as we need food to eat to live however, again, I think that people would much prefer humane methods wherever possible. It's the same with hunting, whilst most animal lovers are against hunting purely for 'fun' they don't mind in the slightest if it is hunting for food.

(So my point is although you referred to it, it's actually not really that relevant, because I can pretty much guarantee that if we started a thread about culling in the food industry (with regards to 'surplus' stock as opposed to food) there would be an equal number of people against it.)
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Azz did you not read, 4 puppies were kept not 2! and that would of stood whether there were 4 pups born, 6 or 26.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Tbh it doesn't matter whether it was 2, 4 or 6 being kept, the crux is the person bred a litter knowing full well that he was going to kill anything 'surplus'.

It's almost like people having 5 babies and killing 4 girls because they just wanted a boy. Disposing of anything they didn't want.

Back to the pup culling, for the reasons mentioned in this thread it's something many people (animal lovers in particular) couldn't do, and something many can not respect.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 05:32 PM
It's almost like people having 5 babies and killing 4 girls because they just wanted a boy. Disposing of anything they didn't want.
Now that sounds interesting...................:smt002

I'm going now!
Dawn.
Page 15 of 16 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 >