View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-12-2012, 01:47 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing activities with you dog - as long as there are no risks involved.

Just my opinion, nothing more.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by nddogs View Post
Ah thanks yes I see the point about how the dog's are stood when showing. And yeah thanks I do understand the unnatural movements causing damage and I agree owners should try and keep that to a minimum and if the dog is showing signs of discomfort and certainly if serious permanent injury is likely the dog should not be made to do it! But I think especially with very lively dogs it's better to do activities which both owner and dog enjoy even if there are some risks than have them under-exercised / bored.
Absolutely agree with that.
I show my dogs. Work them sometimes and race them sometimes. They are exercised at least 4/5 times a week, fast trotting along side my bike. Between 4-6 miles at the moment. Its by far the most satisfying "work" they do, as its constant and gets them incredibly fit. They also run loose etc.. on other days but a blast round the fields doesnt do half as much for mental or physical stimulation as the bike work does. Its pretty "safe" too.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
There we differ because no way would I risk the health of my dog, just as I never risked the health of my children.
Fair enough but don't get me wrong like I said when there is a strong chance of permanent damage I don't think it should be done. But I'm with Brierley and Borderdawn
Three of our dog's are gundogs there are some risks they could get injured out working we try to reduce these risks and look after our dogs much more than many working gundog owners but the pro's far out weigh the risks they absolutely love it.
And there is good and bad in every thing and HTM for the most part (if the owner is sensible and doesn't over do things that could cause damage) I do not have much of a problem with. Life is for living sort of thing and if the dog enjoys it and it is being properly cared for and fit and sound I don't have a problem. I do have a problem with lively dogs getting bored and developing issues! Like chewing things that they should not in a house is a big health risk to a dog !
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
As this and other posts show, this is not about relationships between dog and owner but about Fame and Applause and winning a Prise and Getting on the Telly. That is using a dog not benefitting it. Poor dogs that will do anything we ask of them..They deserve better than this cheapening and degrading stuff.
What sort of prizes do you think are on offer??

No doggy activities have financial reward, showing, agility, HTM etc - they all cost a fortune to enter, then fuel .,,, a typical competition day always costs me over £150.

Top winners are no more valued as studs or their puppies more expensive either ......

Back yard breeders and puppy farm type pups cost more in my breeds than those from decent breeders.

Have you never trained your dogs in something they love?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I think it's highly unlikely that these dogs are mistreated in training as has been suggested.

Compared to the thousands, maybe millions of dogs that are ignored for most of the day and left, untrained, under exercised, and under stimulated, I think these dogs have a great life.

If it's not your cup of tea, it's not your cup of tea but the real shame are all the neglected dogs. There are 5 in my local area that never even leave the house.
Hear hear to all that. I will be heading back to Cyprus in a few days where most 'pet' dogs are kept cooped up outside in small cages 24/7. I'm sure any one of those would swap places with any of the dogs on that TV prog.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
As this and other posts show, this is not about relationships between dog and owner but about Fame and Applause and winning a Prise and Getting on the Telly. That is using a dog not benefitting it. Poor dogs that will do anything we ask of them..They deserve better than this cheapening and degrading stuff.
But its exactly about relationships between dog & owner. The dog & owner did & enjoyed heelwork to music then he lost his hearing & became depressed. She started doing a little dancing using handsignals & he perked up. You could see he was happy that spaniel tail never stopped wagging. I say coming third was the sympathy vote as he did not do the first movement at all but then caught sight of his owner & started dancing, so to be fair there were others better.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
What sort of prizes do you think are on offer??
Well in fairness, they compete to win prizes, yes? Dont we all? The winner has got to "perform" at Crufts next year, won a holiday and a "generous" supply of dog food.

No doggy activities have financial reward, showing, agility, HTM etc - they all cost a fortune to enter, then fuel .,,, a typical competition day always costs me over £150.
Stakes classes do offer financial reward. I agree though with the cost, I expect I pay around £100 a time to enter two dogs with all that goes with it.

Top winners are no more valued as studs or their puppies more expensive either ......
Agreed.

Back yard breeders and puppy farm type pups cost more in my breeds than those from decent breeders.
Agreed again.

Have you never trained your dogs in something they love?
Nope. My dogs love working, they needed no training for that. I know that NO dog would "want" to dance if it had the choice, its a dog.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2012, 07:55 PM
I have a lil Santa pup in the house, a five year old Westie. And she think's that dancing is natural. In the morning, or when I get home she starts dancing along. On her back legs, spinning, and even using her paws to get attention if it doesn't work. I'm sure given time, treats and affection she could be brought along so well. Shame I wont have the time to do that though. I don't see a problem with HWTM, it's owners spending time with the dogs, where the dogs use their mind and body. Something that some dogs don't get chance to use enough.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Its not the dogs dressing (or not) that gets me, its the costumes the handlers dress up in all th at glitter/Lycra and fish net tights I think some are closet exhibitionist
To be fair we must bear in mind the huge pressure that the TV production staff must put on contestants, these are the faceless middle management types that have now been exposed at the BBC (but they exist at all the TV companies), they think they know everything about how to present a light entertainment TV programme but remember they are really only concerned about viewing figures.

And why does glitter / Lycra / fish net tights work simply because the vast majority of viewers go for that kind of thing. TV these days is all about the lowest common denominator and the great unwashed masses get the kind of TV that they deserve.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
To be fair we must bear in mind the huge pressure that the TV [B]production staff must put on contestants, these are[/B] the faceless middle management types that have now been exposed at the BBC (but they exist at all the TV companies), they think they know everything about how to present a light entertainment TV programme but remember they are really only concerned about viewing figures.

And why does glitter / Lycra / fish net tights work simply because the vast majority of viewers go for that kind of thing. TV these days is all about the lowest common denominator and the great unwashed masses get the kind of TV that they deserve.
I completely disagree, to be fair until Ashley and Pugsey bounced onto the screen, the great unwashed masses, probably had no idea what HWTM is/ was. The only other time it is publicised on TV is a couple of minutes (if that) at Crufts when Mary Ray graced us with her performance , and again, the great unwashed of TV viewers that watch Crufts, will not be enough of numbers to influence TV channels to insist a tiny number of people dress up in silly outfits.

99% of shows / compitions of HWTM around the country take place in venues the TV would be hard pressed to find, let alone dictate the costumes the contestants wear

Lycra , sequins and dancing dogs have gone together far far longer than its sudden popularity of Ashley and Pugsey, and this one show on main stream TV .
Page 8 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >