Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ally
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-06-2010, 08:40 PM

Throat trauma?

Yesterday whilst coming in after gardening ou front my CKC Mia saw our cat and decided to go see her, she was on her lead but pulled so suddenly she escaped. Couldn't go after her as was trying to get our puppy into the house.Called her as she usually comes back but no Mia. Went to look for her but she had not got far, as she ran onto next doors drive her lead had got trapped under the car tyre, She was very quiet and sat very still. Ipicked her up and brought her in, she was holding her head to one side as though she couldn't support it and when I put her down she couldn't stand up. Now I was really scared, my OH was out and panic set in, I put her into puppies cage whilst trying to find vets number crying etc. 10 mins later she got up pushed cage open and walked out Has anybody else had a dog do this. My friends husband said that he has seen rugby players act like this when hit in the throat. So I think she must have been pulled back sharply on her lead. She is absolutley fine now and enjoying being spoilt by her frightened mum. I thought she had done something really serious so happy that she's ok and back to bossing Milo around.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Thank goodness for that!!! When reading your post my heart was in my mouth, and you must be so relieved.

I would be tempted to go for a quick check up at the vet tomorrow, just to make sure that everything is okay. (For Mia, not you 0
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2010, 12:33 PM
That must have been very scary Ally. Whilst there has to be concern when a dog's neck is pulled badly like that the signs that Mia showed were classic signs of shock and being stunned. The fact that she recovered quickly is a good sign. As dog owners know, the delicate area for dogs is their chest area and lower throat, but their bodies are now used to wearing collars and leads that they don't usually have problems with this sort of scenario. Our Dyson is always launching on his extneding lead and jerking back when he gets to the limit, but doesn't come to any harm. Hope Mia is feeling better today and that you have calmed down... don't these dogs of ours cause us worry???