Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 08:18 AM

Best tool for dense undercoat?

Raz has a massively full undercoat (not matted thank heaven) which is ready to drop. The rake & spiky brushes I have aren`t long enough to get down to the bottom of it.
Ideas please? It needs to be gentle as he has quite a few scars under there.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 09:06 AM
some one told me about a new tool they got off amazon, a furminator, he swears by it, I use a hack saw blade on Boabz, he has a surprisingly thick under coat...dunno how it'd work on a longer haired dog though
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 09:52 AM
I bath my double coated dogs, let them dry & then use a Furminator & boy does the undercoat fly out.

The secret to using the Furminator is not to be heavy handed as this cuts the outer coat. The amount of under coat I get out of even smooth coated dog is amazing !

Oh BTW best to use it outdoors !!
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 10:10 AM
I have tried quite a few different "dog" brushes and comb type things and have come to the conclusion that the best things to use with my dogs are brushes suitable for humans. The ones with the rubber coated bobbles on the ends or plastic ones are quite good and don't hurt when using them. The variety of brushes available for human use is also a lot wider than for dog brushes so it is cheaper and easier to experiment until you find the right thing for your dog's coat.

One thing I have found very useful in the "doggy" range is a "Zoom Groom". This is all rubber with big flexible teeth. It sits in your hand and is very easy to use. This also is very gentle and can be used on a wet coat. I think they make one cat size as well.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 10:23 AM
For a long haired do with thick under coat I would use a coat king ust do it gently should be no need to o heavy handed
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 11:14 AM
For my two, I use the Mikki Undercoat Rake. It gets tonnes of undercoat out of my two
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 11:18 AM
I agree with Joedee, you need to bath him first, let him dry then either Furminate or use a coat king.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 01:06 PM
I can`t bath him. I`ll have a go with a hairbrush.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I can`t bath him. I`ll have a go with a hairbrush.
WHy ? Doesn't have to be in the bath, but the coat getting throughly wet doe shelp to get the dead coat out
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Cruiser is long coated with a seriously heavy undercoat..

I have two large tins full of various brushes, rakes, slickers, furminator..
And the best thing I can use on him is a flat comb..with alternate long and short teeth..

And he never gets bathed until he is brushed out..as once his undercoat is wet it just makes it worse to brush out..it sort of floats and gets stuck!..

Cruiser was fully brushed this morning and then bathed this afternoon..he is now naked!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >