Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2008, 01:03 PM

Jack Russell aggression

Hello, keeping t short for simplicity. Moved to Turkey with Jack Russell. Turks are frightened of dogs and she has picked up on this. So, she was always a bit lively and yappy but now she tries to nip visitors as they arrive and as they leave. Even if the person has been friendly and she has spent time on their laps. Now she is doing it to English people who are used to dogs, love dogs, been friendly to her and STILL she gives them a hard time.

What shall I do, this has stumped me.
packleader
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2008, 01:13 PM
When did you move to turkey? What age is your dog? Could your dog be still getting used to the new place.
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2008, 01:22 PM
July last year. She is 4. I think she is getting worse. If we shut her away she barks non stop. We have a 10 year old Cairn/Westie cross. He is also joining in with her aggression but not as bad. It is very embarrassing.
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2008, 01:23 PM
When I say, shut her away. I mean when we have visitors.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2008, 01:53 PM
This can be a trait with JR terriers, I take it she is not a Parson JR. The farm type JRs are breed to be sharp and good ratters and deprived of the job they were bred for they can become a bit difficult to deal with as they become noisy and practice their nipping ability on anything that comes to hand.

Can’t offer any cure unless you are able to offer your dog some ratting work which may calm the situation.
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2008, 02:08 PM
She isn't a parsons. She is tiny with the Queen Anne legs!

The thing is, I don't know what to do with her when we have visitors. D I smack her. Or lock her away. Or pick her up and put her in the visitors arms. I have tried telling her off but she just circles and waits for the next opportunity.

I know dogs are very tuned in to ovenrs reactions and I don't know how to react to her when she is like this with visitors. I have tried not watching her to see if this makes her feel unsupported.

BTW she is also aggressive with other dogs...
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2008, 04:19 PM
smack her, no don't do that you are then supporting her aggression with aggression of your own. Shut her away, if it is only when they are leaving then shut her away before they go or invest in a cage or use your travel crate whilst you have visitors and give a chew toy or kong to keep her happy.
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2008, 06:48 PM
I can see where you are coming from and we do have a cage, We shut her in there and she barks continuously. If we shut her in there and open the front door to let the visitor in, it is Bedlham.

If we let her out she rushes straight up to the person and we have no idea if she will nip. She has nipped 2 people when they were leaving. OK she settles while they are in the house (even gets up on their lap) but as they go to leave we have to pick her up or risk her nipping. Though, if we don't she doesn't tend to nip but she almost does.

This causes much nervousness both with us and the visitor. It isn't right, and what I was asking is how to react to her. How to treat her. I am at a loss.

We got her from a rescue when she was 15 months old. She was a trusting dog and seemed to never have received any beatings. I do wonder if she is being over protective of me. She is on guard when my husband touches me. It is good to have a dog that feels she has a job of protection to do but how do we make her realise that these people are OK and she can relax.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Think she is being a terrier, why it has just developed I don't know but I don't think you will be able to stop it. If you shut her in another room with something like a bone or a kong will she still bark? If the answer is yes then I think a muzzle is the next best answer.

You could try taking her to a trainer but it may be expensive and I don't think she will ever be reliable, sorry

You could put a lead on her before you answer the dog and then make sure she remains with you and can't get to your visitors.
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2008, 07:31 PM
LOL, when we got her from the rescue, a friend said we'd got an experience coming up. Owning a Jack Russell. How right he was. She is the sweetest little girl. She is always alert but loves her cuddles. But she has taken the terrier personality and embelished it.

Not sure if there are any trainers around here..... hmmmm.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >