Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 08:58 AM

Poor Shamus

Shamus the Shorthaired Pointer is, I think, developing Spondylosis. My last GSP had it too. He is stiff in the evenings and sometimes cries when he is lying down and moves a bit.
Unfortunately he reacts badly when in pain - he goes rigid if you approach and gets very frightened - so I can`t do massage like with my last one.
He gets supplements already, and I`m desperately trying to keep his weight down.
Maybe a coat would help?
Any suggestions? He wouldn`t stand for acupuncture. And he doesn`t swim.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Shamus the Shorthaired Pointer is, I think, developing Spondylosis. My last GSP had it too. He is stiff in the evenings and sometimes cries when he is lying down and moves a bit.
Unfortunately he reacts badly when in pain - he goes rigid if you approach and gets very frightened - so I can`t do massage like with my last one.
He gets supplements already, and I`m desperately trying to keep his weight down.
Maybe a coat would help?
Any suggestions? He wouldn`t stand for acupuncture. And he doesn`t swim.

Bless him!!

Other than getting some pain relief form the vet , cant really suggest anything else, as you say swimming and acupuncture could help, but you have to weigh up the pros ad cons, if he hates them or wont tolerate, no point in putting him through it.

Acoat for the coming winter will definitely help. try a equafleeze http://www.equafleece.co.uk/store/index.html they are really good, I use the conventional type the green one on the greyhound,

P.S , you can also get thermal bedding , I have a thermal quilt for Bandit, cant remember where it was from, if you goggle it you may find something
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Shamus the Shorthaired Pointer is, I think, developing Spondylosis. My last GSP had it too. Any suggestions? He wouldn`t stand for acupuncture. And he doesn`t swim.
There are some hydrotherapy places where the dog is on a treadmill in the water, so also they are supported, there is something under their feet. Would he do that?

This is the place near me (which I know is miles away, but just for illustrative purposes) http://www.dog-hydrotherapy.co.uk/
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Awwwww! He's such a handsome boy! Perhaps a padded waterproof coat with a collar that covers his neck? My GSP hates getting wet through and really appreciates it in cold, really wet weather. I took him to the pet shop and he tried them all on to find the best fit.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 09:39 AM
I would think a warm coat and an orthopedic bed would help ( in addition to pain management from your vet) Gentle hugs to the old man!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Poor lad.

What about trying a heat pad or a covered hot (warm?) water bottle when he's lying down? As everyone else has said, warm coat, draft free & comfy padded bed, pain medication?

If he won't tolerate massage or acupuncture, I don't suppose there's any chance that chiropracty would be an option either? I've heard it can bring relief from the pain caused by spondylosis.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Awh hes beautiful, my eldest Boxer we lost in June had it. She got relief from PLTs - you could ask your vet about the possibility of getting some.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I think I`ll get him a coat. He`ll like that.
They all swap beds so I think there`d be too much competition for the thermal one.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Poor Shamus,

Cant offer any help, sorry, but sounds like a nice warm coat will help.

Gentle hugs from me and mine

xxx
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Shamus is lovely, hope he's feeling better soon x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >