Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 07:29 PM

Parvo and black and tan dogs

my vet has me thinking about parvo, when xeva was in for her check up she said that she would need another 2 injections (she came with her first, her second is due on tuesday) but apparently black and tan dogs are more prone to parvo so she should get a 3rd jab that is just for parvo.

now according to my vet the fact that black and tan dogs are more prone to parvo was only discovered in the last 4 years.

now if that is the case then why was ty only given 2 vaccs when he restarted last year? and why does xeva need to have 3 vaccs?

i have done a search online and everywhere supports that black and tan dogs are more prone, however some say 3 vaccs are needed others just say 2
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 07:33 PM
why would colour have anything to do with it
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
why would colour have anything to do with it
I wish I could remember where I read it, but I have heard this too.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I wish I could remember where I read it, but I have heard this too.
I would like to know, as dont understand how colour can make a dog more prone to picking up infection/viruses.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 07:49 PM
i have no idea, but this is what my vet said and all of the websites just say

i didnt post the link as this is too a dog website and dont know if im allowed

"Are some breeds more susceptible than others?

For some reason, Rottweilers, Doberman Pinschers, and other black and tan breeds are especially prone to Parvo, and seem to succumb to parvo faster and with less chance of recovery than any other breed. If you have one of these breeds, it's even more important to make certain your puppy or dog gets immunized properly. But these breeds are not alone -- the Parvovirus can affect all breeds."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_parvovirus

if you look at this section Pathophysiology on the above link

http://www.askavetquestion.com/answer_np.php?id=562

no one can seem to answer why just all say for some reason, which is really annoying as i because they cannot explain it i dont know why she should need the 3rd vaccs grrr
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 07:51 PM
so is it more down to the fact that some breeds are more prone to it, down to immune systems - than their actually colour? Just happens some of these breeds are black and tan?
will read links now, thank you
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-01-2011, 07:53 PM
That is strange..
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I would like to know, as dont understand how colour can make a dog more prone to picking up infection/viruses.
Because all colour genes are mutations from the wild-type, and many mutations carry other effects along with them. Dalmatians for instance, and the associated deafness. Merles, and deafness/blindness/other problems in double merles. Colour dilution alopecia in blue & fawn dogs. This is known as "pleiotropism".

The Tan-pattern gene a(t) is responsible for black & tan, blue & tan, red/liver & tan, fawn & tan - plus any colour where the tan patterning has been diluted by another gene to silver/white (as in some Huskies for instance). It's also present in GSDs, and also I think Yorkies, plus more. Lowered resistance to Parvo - if it is true - would mean that comes along as a pleiotropic effect of the a(t) gene.

I've not seen any scientific literature to back it up though, but yes.... it's possible.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 08:02 PM
How odd and very interesting - would that make it a genetic thing? Maybe your vet is being very careful, but I would have thought that high levels of infection in a local area and that risk for unprotected dogs would be more of a concern than the colour of the dog. Perhaps more research will reveal concrete evidence.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 08:09 PM
i will be asking my vet on tuesday when we go in for xeva's second vaccine, why if its been discovered in the last 4 years when ty restarted his vaccs was he only given 2 yet xeva is to recieve 3 they are both black and tan gsd's this is where it gets confusing

i did think it was interesting though and that it would be of interest on dogsey that is why i posted.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >