View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 03:28 PM

Arthritis meds and too much stomach acid?

I took Jago to the vets today for his final injection of Cartrophen (4/4). He is also getting Seraquin tablets (glucosamine, chondroitin and turmeric), x3 a day to be reduced to x1 a day over the course of a few weeks. While I was there the vet asked if Jago had had any bother with being sick etc. He has actually been sick more than usual over the last few weeks since he started the tablets/injections. Not a lot but a couple of times over the last month. The vet mentioned it may be down to excess stomach acid. My question is... is this related to the meds he is taking or something else? She mentioned feeding him differently may help? Wuld this mean maybe three smaller meals as opposed to 2 meals a day? I always think of questions once I get out of there!!
FayRose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Firstly, best wishes to Jago, I hope his tum is feeling better.

My lab is epileptic, so on meds for that, but he also has elbow displasia. We try to cope with this by controlling excercise etc., but sometimes he has to have other meds all of which have caused belly problems.
We tried him on glucosamine and a chondroitin tabs, but they caused a bad reaction, (sickness, squitters). When we mentioned this to the vet, he told us that those drugs can cause upsets in some dogs.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Thank you for your reply That's really interesting (sorry to hear your boy is poorly though ). I have been advised to try giving Jago slippery elm powder, it's meant to be good for settling sore stomachs caused by meds or anything else. Worth a shot I think
Jago gets restricted exercise too, which seems to help a lot. However, because he was just diagnosed a month ago it's very hard to know which of the things we're giving him/trying is helping! I'll suss it all out as I go along.
FayRose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Yep, I'd say go for things that are natural as long as you've researched them and are confident yourself, rather than just a vet's or anyone else's opinion. The trouble is, even with natural remedies, if your dog is on other meds, these can react and cause problems.

Best wishes and hugs for Jago. x
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by peedie View Post
I took Jago to the vets today for his final injection of Cartrophen (4/4). He is also getting Seraquin tablets (glucosamine, chondroitin and turmeric), x3 a day to be reduced to x1 a day over the course of a few weeks. While I was there the vet asked if Jago had had any bother with being sick etc. He has actually been sick more than usual over the last few weeks since he started the tablets/injections. Not a lot but a couple of times over the last month. The vet mentioned it may be down to excess stomach acid. My question is... is this related to the meds he is taking or something else? She mentioned feeding him differently may help? Wuld this mean maybe three smaller meals as opposed to 2 meals a day? I always think of questions once I get out of there!!
hi,
how old is your jago?
i would advise a 'biochemistry' blood test to check your dogs liver function before anything else,as 'cartrophen' may of triggered a reaction,i would find it hard to believe it is the seraquin tablets although any thing is possible,if it is down to stomach acid there are a few things that could help,but if its only been a couple of times over a month ,i wouldnt panic too much,my dogs are sick more often than that!!
eta..if he is a large breed older dog,imo he would benefit from 3 smaller meals anyway,
good luck.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Thank you I'm hoping it's not realted and 'just one of those things'. I'll maybe give it a week or so yet before trying anything else.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Don't know if its relevent but my Hannah was often sick in the morning with a yellow bile sort of sick. My vet said it could be excess acid building up overnight & to give her a small meal last thing, Did so & have had no problems since.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Sorry, forgot to sy his age, he is 5 years old (labrador).
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2009, 03:33 PM
My Milo suffers with excessive stomach acid and I feed him 4 small meals a day so his stomach doesn't get empty.
Some drugs can make the problem worse.